CNN Newsgathering Internships- Spring
Discovery CommunicationsWashington, DC
Part Time Paid Internship
CNN-This is our story
We are the now and the next. The power behind the people building the future. We are born from the spirit of innovation. We are created from the idea that people around the world want more, need more, deserve more. We are the home of the global digital revolution. We are CNN.
See what it’s like to work at CNN! Follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook.
The?application deadline for Spring 2023 is Friday, November, 4th. After this date, we cannot guarantee your application will be reviewed for the position.
All internships will be a hybrid, in-person (based on your manager's in office schedule) unless explicitly stated as a virtual opportunity.
Please submit cover letter with your application, please combine the resume and cover letter into one PDF document.
The DC Newsgathering arm of CNN is a front-line driver of information and reporting disseminated across the network, and content used by mutiple platforms across the CNN family. We plan daily news coverage and orchestrate breaking news reporting for all DC-related beats, covering the Presidency, Capitol Hill, the Supreme Court, and all federal agencies.
CNN Newsmaking DC: Get the chance to work alongside the newsgathering team. You will work with Supervising Producers, Beat Leads, Correspondents, and Reports in the Washington DC Bureau.
CNN Newsource DC: Internships with CNN Newsource involve supporting the production teams' efforts in providing live and pre-produced news content to more than 800 CNN-affiliated clients in North America.
Duties could include:
• You will learn all aspects of newsgathering from the moment a story is born
to it making air and being distributed to affiliates.
• Shadow and assist reporters, producers, photojournalists and news assistants
• Research, fact-checking, tapes logging, assistance with interviews and
stakeouts, and other editorial activities
• Make editorial calls, search for stories and pitch to networks/bureaus, etc.
• Must be a Junior, Senior or Graduate Student (18 years or older)
• Must be actively enrolled in an accredited college or university degree program for the full duration of the internship (proof of enrollment required)
• Must be in academic good standing (2.8 or above GPA)
• Must have the legal right to work in the United States
• Broadcast Journalism, Media or Communications major
• Strong current events knowledge and interest in news and politics
• Knowledge of CNN news platforms (network shows, website)
• Candidates should be motivated, self-starters, detail-oriented multi-taskers
who function well under deadline pressures
• Prior internship experience at a local television station or other network
newsroom is helpful and is interested in delving into the newsgathering
• Cover letter required
About Our Program
WBD's Internship Program is designed to nurture students professionally and personally. We attract the country’s boldest and brightest students for paid, for-credit, real-world internship experiences in the entertainment, tech, sports, news and media industries. We offer career-defining opportunties to learn valuable skills that will helo you prepare for a successful future.
Ready to learn more? Here’s what we offer:
• Hands-on work with passionate, talented team members in your field
• Mentorship from some of the industry’s kindest and most passionate entertainment veterans
• Engaging events including professional development seminars, panels with recruiters and former interns, intern-exclusive events, and so much more
• Access to top-level executives and employees through our Speaker Series and Roundtables
• Incredible networking opportunities with industry-leading professionals and a robust intern alumni network
• A creative, collaborative, and inclusive company culture
What you can expect to take away from the semester:
• Opportunities to develop professionally and uncover skills you didn’t know you had
• The insider scoop on the entertainment industry and what happens behind the scenes
• Relationships that will go beyond your collegiate career
• Real-life experiences that will provide you with the confidence to delve into your next adventure
And finally, what to know before applying:
• Our Spring 2023 program is a 12 Week Internship that will run from Monday, February 6th through Friday, April 28th, 2023
• Part time-schedule (16-24 hours/week) required
• Our internships are paid opportunities with a competitive hourly wage. Credit is not required; however, we will provide the necessary documentation for school credit if desired. Relocation is not provided.
Interviewing will take place from September through early December. A WBD team member will contact you if your experiences and interests match an open internship position. Due to the high volume of applications, we are unable to give individual status updates.