CNN Newsgathering Internships- Spring
Discovery CommunicationsAtlanta, GA
Part Time Paid Internship
CNN-This is our story
We are the now and the next. The power behind the people building the future. We are born from the spirit of innovation. We are created from the idea that people around the world want more, need more, deserve more. We are the home of the global digital revolution. We are CNN.
See what it’s like to work at CNN! Follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook.
The?application deadline for Spring 2023 is Friday, November, 4th. After this date, we cannot guarantee your application will be reviewed for the position.
All internships will be a hybrid, in-person (based on your manager's in office schedule) unless explicitly stated as a virtual opportunity.
Please submit cover letter with your application, please combine the resume and cover letter into one PDF document.
CNN Newsource Production (ATL): CNN Newsource is the premiere affiliate news service with more than 1000 local news affiliates and digital clients. From breaking news content across the world, to trending stories for digital sites and mobile platforms, to comprehensive live coverage, to story/package production, to archive footage for productions, CNN Newsource provides the content affiliates need
CNN National Content Center (ATL): The CNN National Content Center is the editorial hub of domestic newsgathering for CNN, HLN, CNN.com and more. The National Content Center works with field crews across the US to bring viewers and CNN affiliates the most compelling news and in-depth coverage of events from around the nation. The assignment editors of the desk are responsible for gathering elements, pitching stories, contributing editorial information and much more..
Duties could include:
• You will learn all aspects of newsgathering from the moment a story is born to it making air and being distributed to affiliates.
• Shadow and assist reporters, producers, photojournalists and news assistants
• Research, fact-checking, tapes logging, assistance with interviews and stakeouts, and other editorial activities
• Make editorial calls, search for stories and pitch to networks/bureaus, etc.
• Interns are expected to listen to news conferences, distill the editorial, and write clear and concise alerts which reach thousands of employees.
• As an intern you will also have the opportunity to observe other departments that work closely with the desk.
• Must be a Junior, Senior or Graduate Student (18 years or older)
• Must be actively enrolled in an accredited college or university degree program for the full duration of the internship (proof of enrollment required)
• Must be in academic good standing (2.8 or above GPA)
• Must have the legal right to work in the United States
• Broadcast Journalism, Media or Communications major
• Strong current events knowledge and interest in news and politics
• Knowledge of CNN news platforms (network shows, website)
• Candidates should be motivated, self-starters, detail-oriented multi-taskers who function well under deadline pressures
• Prior internship experience at a local television station or other network newsroom is helpful and is interested in delving into the newsgathering process.
• Cover letter required
About Our Program
WBD's Internship Program is designed to nurture students professionally and personally. We attract the country’s boldest and brightest students for paid, for-credit, real-world internship experiences in the entertainment, tech, sports, news and media industries. We offer career-defining opportunties to learn valuable skills that will helo you prepare for a successful future.
Ready to learn more? Here’s what we offer:
• Hands-on work with passionate, talented team members in your field
• Mentorship from some of the industry’s kindest and most passionate entertainment veterans
• Engaging events including professional development seminars, panels with recruiters and former interns, intern-exclusive events, and so much more
• Access to top-level executives and employees through our Speaker Series and Roundtables
• Incredible networking opportunities with industry-leading professionals and a robust intern alumni network
• A creative, collaborative, and inclusive company culture
What you can expect to take away from the semester:
• Opportunities to develop professionally and uncover skills you didn’t know you had
• The insider scoop on the entertainment industry and what happens behind the scenes
• Relationships that will go beyond your collegiate career
• Real-life experiences that will provide you with the confidence to delve into your next adventure
And finally, what to know before applying:
• Our Spring 2023 program is a 12 Week Internship that will run from Monday, February 6th through Friday, April 28th, 2023
• Part time-schedule (16-24 hours/week) required
• Our internships are paid opportunities with a competitive hourly wage. Credit is not required; however, we will provide the necessary documentation for school credit if desired. Relocation is not provided.
Interviewing will take place from September through early December. A WBD team member will contact you if your experiences and interests match an open internship position. Due to the high volume of applications, we are unable to give individual status updates.