Software Engineer - Vid Streaming
Discovery CommunicationsLondon, UK
Full Time Job
Are you interested in shaping the future of Television, Sport and Olympics? Do you want to define the next generation of Discovery’s D2C platform? We need your passion, innovative ideas, and creativity to help build a world-class Live and VOD streaming platform to super-serve our super-fans.
• Delivering high quality code on time as part of a cross-functional team
• Taking an active part in team discussions around system component design, improvement and integration.
• Designing and developing high performance, test-driven code
• Working with and maintaining a large existing code base as well as new components
• Maintaining production code
• Contributing to deployment and QA processes
• This job will require travel to our Paris, New York and Bellevue offices
You will need to have an established background in developing customer-facing experiences, a strong technical ability and great communication skills. We value individuals who are motivated to achieve results in a fast-paced environment, and have high levels of creativity, great analytical reasoning skills, and, of course, a passion for TV and Sport!
• Experience in a Software Engineer or Software Developer role within a customer-facing organisation
• Experience with object-oriented design, data structures, algorithm design, problem solving, and complexity analysis
• Expertise in one or more of the following:
• Knowledge of AWS (GCP and/or Azure is a bonus!)
• Knowledge of professional software engineering fundamentals and best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
• Experience with critical, 24x7 systems
• Ability to work on a diverse team
• Expert knowledge of video streaming, codecs, video delivery and broadcast workflows
• Experience with mission critical, 24x7 systems
• Experience with high throughput, multi-threaded systems
• Experience implementing and consuming large-scale web services
• Master’s degree in computer science or equivalent
• Experience in development on cloud-based infrastructure
• Experience influencing engineering best practices within your team
• Hands-on expertise in many disparate technologies, typically ranging from front-end user interfaces through to back-end systems and all points in between
• Excellent problem-solving skills
Discovery Digital Media
Discovery Digital Media is a well-funded start-up within Discovery Communications, a high-performing global team working at the dynamic intersection of Technology and Entertainment. As content creators in the digital space, we continuously leverage our technological capabilities to create immersive viewing experiences for iconic brands including Eurosport, GOLFTV, MotorTrend and DPlay.
Eurosport produces authentic, premium and innovative content, on linear and digital platforms. It combines expertise, passion and resources to develop high-value programmes and offer unrivalled coverage to viewers in 99 countries, in 21 languages. Having secured the exclusive European broadcast rights for the Olympics until 2024, there's no better time to join Eurosport on this incredible adventure.