Social Media Assistant Editor
Discovery CommunicationsSilver Spring, MD
Full Time Job
Social Media Assistant Editor - Tlcme
The Assistant Editor is responsible for creating, assigning, curating, editing and promoting digital content experiences for TLCme across platforms. This editor will pitch and create both standalone and convergent saleable packages, galleries, articles and videos for TLCme based on linear priorities, sales opportunities, trends and seasonality. Excellent writing, editing and brainstorming skills are essential, as are self-motivation and the ability to meet tight daily and weekly deadlines.
The goal of this role is to expand content creation and traffic across TLC platforms (both flat and video), increase audience (via SEO, newsletter creation and social promotion) and fan awareness of TLC and TLCme programming, drive tune-in through viral marketing and communications activities and deliver high levels of traffic.
A love of the TLC brand, reality television programming and lifestyle content is key. TLCme taps into all the emotions surrounding “life’s milestone moments”, so a passion for all things weddings, family, parenting and wellness is ideal.
1. Publish 3-5 pieces of content in the CMS each day
2. Update the TLC.com homepage and TLCme section fronts with fresh content weekly
3. Write on-brand, quick-turnaround news content, for example, a Royal announcing they’re pregnant
4. Edit, build and source images for articles submitted by freelancers
5. Oversee freelancer assignments, both flat and video
6. Work with engineering/product to report site/CMS issues and ensure that any fixes that need to be made are logged
7. Post content to TLCme social – facebook and instagram
8. Write posts that drive to long-form content
9. Keep editorial calendar up-to-date
10. Work with video contributors on in-studio shoots and brainstorm innovative ideas
11. Track and manage content analytics for site pageviews and video views each month
12. Provide contributors with regular feedback so they can finesse posts to better resonate
13. Work with SEO team to hone and execute search and eCommerce strategy
14. Leverage social audiences to drive traffic to O&O sites and increase impressions across platforms.
15. Some after-hours work may be required in support of premieres and live events
* Bachelors degree in New Media, Communications, Marketing or related field
* 2-3 years digital experience
* Working knowledge of website content management systems and analytic platforms
* A keen strategic leaning but also a creative flare
* Ability to capture the brand’s tone of voice but also demonstrate flexibility by show and talent
* An agile self-starter with the ability to collaborate with a team and across departments
* Demonstrated writing and editing skills
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills
* Must have the legal right to work in the United States
New York City, New York, NYC, NY
Offering remarkably relatable real-life stories without judgment, TLC celebrates the reality that “everyone needs a little TLC.” TLC’s hit series share everyday heart, humor, hope, and human connection with programming genres that include fascinating families, heart-warming transformations, and life’s milestone moments such as wedding-themed programs anchored by Say Yes To The Dress. TLC is a global brand available in more than 94 million homes in the US and 302 million subscribers in 194 markets internationally. TLC is part of Discovery Communications, the world’s #1 pay-TV programmer reaching nearly 3 billion cumulative subscribers in more than 220 countries and territories.