Senior Video Producer & Writer
Discovery CommunicationsSilver Spring, NC
Full Time Job
What are we looking for?
Discovery Education seeks a dynamic Senior Producer/Editor to join an innovative, creative team that produces an expansive range of award-winning K-12 programs and assets, including on-air, online, and educational content videos. Assisting to build a savvy and dynamic Video and Events Hub will be part of this role at the start.
The Senior Producer/Editor is an experienced storyteller that knows how to tell a compelling and engaging story that drives business, customer loyalty, and brand affinity. This person is a creative, energetic self-starter with significant experience producing, directing, and writing short form videos, including on-air, web, and event videos. The ideal candidate is a highly collaborative professional who enjoys creative brainstorming, is adept at presenting ideas to clients, can manage schedules and budgets effectively, write scripts and creative treatments, direct location and studio shoots, and oversee post-production.
Video categories include educational learning videos, career profiles, virtual field trips, merchandising tools, webinars, marketing, and social promotional videos. Our corporate partner programs are diverse, so the ability to think and execute across disciplines and subject areas is key – every day is a different adventure.
1. Act as creative director for video projects, assess client needs, and develop creative and effective video proposals that include a treatment, schedule, and budget
2. Create and manage all facets of a production including: conducting interviews, scripting, casting, sourcing locations, directing talent and production crew on location or in the studio
3. Drive creative direction with editors in post-production
4. Oversee changes to scripts and edits based on client feedback
5. Other video and support tasks as needed
Project scope and budgets – work with Video/Events Hub Team to:
1. Develop scope and video budgets for current client deliverables
2. Support RFP and scope process for 3rd party creative, as needed
a. Review and ensure alignment with client requests and contracted deliverables
3. Support new video assets process, participate in pricing and defining best practices for new video products and packages
4. Ensure budget documents are maintained, communicating any updates and changes to account team
5. Keep apprised of trends and needs across the Discovery Education company, including our K12 and International efforts, developing a “production filter” to ensure as much US-produced video as possible is appropriate for secondary international use
6. Contribute to the Operations Team vendor and resource bench of external talent, ensuring we are sourcing quality, reliable and cost-effective resources across production needs
7. Maintain and update video project schedules:
a. Key stakeholder in scheduling process, working closely with project manager, account teams, marketing team and clients
b. Update project managers with key timing and deliverable updates
c. Communicate with account teams on any schedule impacts or updates, and work to resolve scheduling conflicts
8. Identify external resources as needed to ensure deliverables are on schedule and on or under budget
a. Support booking additional crew and resource needs
b. Select and schedule on-camera talent (client, internal, and external as needed)
c. Select and direct voiceover talent
Editing and Post Production – work with the Video/Events Hub Team to:
1. Edit video assets, such as vignettes, virtual field trips, merchandising tools, training videos, event recaps, as well as marketing, social, and merchandising videos
2. Edit and manage post workflow independently and deliver against deadlines and high-quality expectations
3. Manage review cycles with client and account teams, ensure updates are made on schedule
4. Directly oversee and manage completion of content
a. Source stock footage, music, with support from Production Coordinator
b. Create engaging After Effects graphics
c. Work closely with Production Coordinator on post-production needs
i. Manage transcription, captioning, and any translation needs
ii. Review and Quality Control, ensuring deliverables are on-schedule
iii. Ensure work and final files are tracked and archived
* Mission-Driven: Passionate about Discovery Education’s vision to transform teaching and learning, experience in, or strong passion for, education a plus.
* Professional Experience: 8 -12 years of professional experience as a video producer, director and writer, preferably for an ad agency or video production company.
* Education: Bachelor’s Degree required, preferably in Production, TV & Film, Communications, Advertising/Marketing, or similar field.
* Knowledge: Strong knowledge of digital formats, experience with Mac office suite: Outlook, Excel, Word, proficiency with project management tools, such as Smartsheet, a plus.
* Skills: Proficiency with Adobe Creative Suite (Premiere Pro, After Effects) required, the ability to develop and implement creative treatments, schedules and budgets of various scopes and sizes.
* Drive: Self-starter who follows through on tight deadlines while managing multiple projects simultaneously, uncompromising attention to detail, strong organizational and time-management skills.
* Hustle: The courage and confidence to work hard and with passion; committed to getting the job done.
* Communication Skills: Excellent communication skills, both written and oral.
* Learning orientation: Always willing to learn something new and incorporate feedback, not rigid in beliefs or expectations.
* Sense of humor: Because we all need to laugh sometimes.
* Collaborative: Must have a high level of flexibility and adaptability with strong interpersonal skills and a team player attitude.
* Flexible: Some US travel required, approximately 30-60% and varies based on work load, evening/weekend work as needed. Video work will occur both on-location and in-studio.
* Bachelor’s degree required, advanced degrees preferred
* Legal right to work in the United States
Charlotte, North Carolina, NC
***If you accept a position with Discovery Education you will be an at- will employee under Discovery Education and eligible for Discovery Education benefits and compensation plans. This role is not a Discovery, Inc. position.***
Who are we?
Discovery Education is the global leader in standards-based digital content for K-12, transforming teaching and learning with award-winning digital textbooks, multimedia content, professional development, and the largest professional learning community of its kind. Serving 4.5 million educators and over 50 million students, Discovery Education’s services are in half of U.S. classrooms, 50 percent of all primary schools in the U.K., and more than 50 countries.
Discovery Education’s Corporate Education Partnerships (“CEP”) team is mission-driven and drives the organization’s public/private partnerships, collaborating across all sectors with like-minded organizations to support critical needs in the K-12 universe in order to drive youth achievement. The output of these partnerships includes cause marketing initiatives, workforce development solutions, and support for K-12 school service distribution in schools nationwide. We believe that access to dynamic learning experiences should not be dependent upon a student’s zip code and are committed to the transformation of teaching and learning in order to drive student achievement.
Explore the future of education at our website.