Senior Manager - Broadcast Operations
Discovery CommunicationsSterling, VA
Full Time Job
The Senior Managers of Broadcast Operations lead the day-to-day operations in Master Control including oversight of 24/7 global broadcast origination, ensuring high reliability uptime, performance management of processes and procedures, customer service excellence for partners and clients, and employee development.
1. Oversee Operations Managers and Broadcast Operations personnel in Master Control determining and adjusting priorities based on the needs of the day
2. Supervise 3-4 employees directly; 60-70 indirectly
3. Proactive development of training curriculum, certification and implementation of operational procedures.
4. Ensure that established SOPs and departmental policies are followed consistently. Perform routine analysis of the knowledge base and tools to identify & implement operational improvements.
5. Lead assigned projects and provide regular updates to stakeholders, flagging risks and issues that may impact deadlines appropriately.
6. Conduct formal operational readiness reviews of proposed engineering designs or changes and produce & implement test plans.
7. Advise Operations Managers on corrective actions, escalation and reporting in line with client and leadership expectations during on-air operational discrepancies and emergencies.
8. Lead discrepancy root cause analysis reports and be accountable for any remediation planning that results from lessons learned.
9. Determine, communicate and lead course of action in situations where advance notification is provided around system maintenance or other operational abnormalities.
10. Establish and maintain global key partner and client group relationships amongst management and project teams to drive continuous improvement
11. Ensure delivery of real time and meaningful data including service reporting, operational updates, planned maintenance and risk analysis.
12. Provide support for Live Event planning, staffing and execution
13. Inspire and promote team culture based on collaboration, best practices and equal treatment. Reward strong performers and celebrate successes.
14. Performance Management including determining goals for Managers and Operators, regular coaching & reviews, and progressive performance and conduct discipline when required.
15. Provide Operations Directors with timely and accurate information regarding head-count and staffing. Act as POC for recruiting efforts and interviews.
16. Develop/implement Operations Manager work schedules and manage vacations, absenteeism, illness and lateness, ensuring minimum staffing levels are met.
17. Coordinate Operations and Engineering staff, as needed, during facility and weather-related emergencies.
18. On call 24x7.
19. All other duties as assigned.
* Extensive experience in a broadcast master control environment and at least five years Management experience of large teams.
* Must be technically literate with the ability to utilize tools and technology including automation, cloud systems, monitoring systems, data analytics, dashboards and Office products.
* Proven experience of implementing change across large teams (process, technology, policy)
* Strong written, verbal, organizational, and customer service skills.
* Experience with operational policy and procedure development, implementation, maintenance and consistency.
* Ability to prioritize, organize and manage tasks in an efficient manner.
* Experience with master control, automation systems, video servers, graphics servers, digital archives, transcode solutions, file delivery mechanisms and routers, with understanding of operations in a multi-channel broadcast facility.
* Analytical skills | Must have the ability to analyze processes/performance and take corrective action.
* Meticulous attention to detail.
* College degree in Communications or other related schooling required.
* Must be willing to work various hours, weekends and holidays.
* Must be flexible to support scheduling for 24/7 broadcast operations and on-call requirements.
* Some travel may be required.
* This position is considered an essential position. During times of inclement weather, emergencies, or when access to the workplace may be impeded, employees in this position are expected to report to work to support business continuance, unless otherwise instructed by his/her direct manager.
* Must have the legal right to work in the United States
Sterling, Virginia, VA