Principal Software Engineer
Discovery CommunicationsLondon, UK
Full Time Job
Are you interested in shaping the future of Television, Sport and Olympics? Do you want to define the next generation of Discovery’s D2C platform? We need your passion, innovative ideas, and creativity to help build a world-class Live and VOD streaming platform to super-serve our super-fans.
We are looking for a Principal Engineer to help us bring our video-streaming experience to a new level. As a pragmatic visionary, you will provide hands-on technical leadership and translate business needs into robust solutions.
• Drive Discovery’s system architecture, engineering practices and engineering methodologies
• Utilise your technical experience to solve our hardest problems and build high quality, scalable and architecturally sound systems that are aligned with our business needs, championing our mission to become the first broadcaster to give the same priority to digital as to proven broadcasting services
• Apply your deep and broad expertise in producing both detailed technical work and high-level architectural designs
• Lead and mentor teams, setting excellent examples for your local team and the wider Discovery engineering community
• Communicate effectively with a range of internal and external stakeholder groups
• This job will require travel to our offices in Paris, New York and Bellevue
• Proven experience within a similar Software Engineering or Development role
• Comprehensive experience with service-oriented architecture, highly distributed systems, high transaction volume and high availability
• Expertise in one or more of the following:
• Expert knowledge of AWS (experience GCP and/or Azure is a bonus!)
• Experience with Agile (SCRUM, RUP, XP), OO modeling, SOA, UNIX, middleware, and database systems
• Experience with implementing Big Data-based solutions and Machine Learning systems
• Proven track record of designing and delivering large-scale, highly available, low latency, high quality systems and software products
• Experience with enterprise platforms and externally-facing APIs is highly desirable
• Product development experience within a customer-facing organisation
• Knowledge of professional software engineering fundamentals and best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
• Experience with mission critical, 24x7 systems
• Experience with object-oriented design, data structures, algorithm design, problem solving and complexity analysis
• Ability to work in a diverse and geographically dispersed team
• Expert knowledge of video streaming, codecs, video delivery and broadcast workflows
• Experience with high throughput, multi-threaded systems
• Experience implementing and consuming large-scale web services
• Experience with digital media delivery and a good understanding of the network technologies
• Experience leading development life cycle process and best practices
Discovery Digital Media
Discovery Digital Media is a well-funded start-up within Discovery Communications, a high-performing global team working at the dynamic intersection of Technology and Entertainment. As content creators in the digital space, we continuously leverage our technological capabilities to create immersive viewing experiences for iconic brands including Eurosport, GOLFTV, MotorTrend and DPlay.
Eurosport produces authentic, premium and innovative content, on linear and digital platforms. It combines expertise, passion and resources to develop high-value programmes and offer unrivalled coverage to viewers in 99 countries, in 21 languages. Having secured the exclusive European broadcast rights for the Olympics until 2024, there's no better time to join Eurosport on this incredible adventure.