Network Operations Engineer
Discovery CommunicationsSterling, VA
Full Time Job
Reporting to a Duty Operations Manager, this position is critical in to monitoring and supporting Discovery’s Global platform infrastructure. Resources supporting this role are our Tier 1 and 2 behind-the-scenes operations support team expected to have a versatile skill set both technically and personally with the ability to stay focused and continually develop as an experienced and skilled technician. Analysts in this role will to have experience in leading difficult situations, staying calm, reacting quickly under pressure and being able to execute on the key responsibilities noted below.
Highlights of the role
The position is a shift-based role working as part of a unified “virtual” teams that will consist of members from multiple disciplines (Distribution Operations Network Operations, Enterprise Platform Operations, Digital Platform Support Operations and Security Operations) to form a dynamic technology focused team capable of providing monitoring all Discovery linear and non-linear output as well as supporting IT infrastructure. The support operation also leads Discovery’s response to all incidents within our infrastructure.
Role responsibilities for the Network Operations Engineer, part of team of 6 in either our London or Sterling, VA centers is Discovery’s primary line of defense in supporting Discovery’s platform infrastructure 50 offices and productions centers globally.
Post holders will be expected to work shifts including weekends whilst regular night work is not required it should be expected that the post holder will need to work nights during certain events.
The team execute our IT Event, Incident and Request Management processes at Discovery ensure a culture of excellence and consistent service and supporting Discovery’s best in class platform infrastructure.
The centers are also the point of contact and owners for an IT Major Incidents and as an engineer are responsible for initiating IT Major Incident process and procedures in our Linear and Digital distribution platforms and infrastructure.
1. Monitoring all our production network infrastructure in real time
2. Outage vetting – initiating of critical outage situations
3. Severity 1, 2, and 3 outage notifications/updates/resolutions
4. Working experience of AWS operations
5. Implement, or assist with implementation of, changes to production network infrastructure
6. Manage VPN, DNS and Firewall instances
7. Resolve digital network and APC issues
8. Provide oversight to the Release Management process in monitoring and updating the status of network devices
9. Work closely with regional IT staff to ensure success of daily operations
10. Provide support for server patching/change management activities
11. Provide a seamless and professional experience in supporting remote and regional customers.
12. Coordinate escalation process to third-party vendors.
13. Identify, adjust, and help establish new monitors and metrics needs
14. Be available for on-call/after hours to support critical outage situations requiring multiple streams of technical lead support
15. Uphold professional ticket management from the get-go for the benefit of the rest of the global support teams by ensuring all ticket types are logged, work logs comprehensively updated and then carefully manage routing to ensure resolution
16. Maintain on-going communication with customers, keeping them up-to-date with the progress of their tickets
17. Serve as a liaison between other support teams and the customer as required by working collaboratively across all leadership levels
18. Provide support to the Duty Operations Manager in the management of outages as needed, providing communications to small and large-scale user groups.
19. Be proactive and ensure constant follow up with involved IT teams to ensure resolution
20. Ability to embrace and support new technologies introduced first hand to IT
21. Experience with ITIL principals
22. Keep Knowledge Base(s) up-to-date
* 2 years working in Network Operations Center for a global company monitoring large scale LAN/WAN production infrastructure and providing support response to failures
* 2 years providing administrative and troubleshooting support in the areas of Network Infrastructure Juniper, CISCO and Palo Alto
* 2 years’ experience administration with Palo Alto Firewalls
* Working knowledge experience of security practice implementation relating to networks
* Working knowledge of monitoring systems and related technologies. Experience of Solarwinds, Splunk, Dataminer, NewReclic a plus.
* Obtained or working towards Cisco CCNP/Juniper JNCIP
* Education – Bachelor's degree in Information Systems, Computer Science, Business Administration or related field or equivalent experience.
* Obtained or working towards Cisco CCNP/Juniper JNCIP
* Able to communicate technical matters to technical and non-technical audiences
* Flexibility to work evening, weekend, and overnight shift
* Experience of using ServiceNow or another similar Service Management tool
* Experience with Amazon Web Services and Azure.
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills and a friendly disposition
* Excellent interpersonal skills
* Must be able to independently research, troubleshoot, and resolve trouble tickets within established Service Level Agreements
* Ability to provide Total Call Ownership to include handling irate customers, escalating issues as appropriate and providing the necessary follow up before incidents are closed
* Ability to define & document IT support procedures as required
* Ability to maintain focus in a high-pressure environment
* This position is considered an essential position. This means that during times of inclement weather, emergencies, or when access to the workplace may be impeded, that employees in this position are expected to report to work to support business continuance, unless otherwise instructed by his/her direct manager.
* Must have the legal right to work in the United States
Sterling, Virginia, VA
As Discovery Inc’s portfolio continues to grow – around the world and across platforms – the Global Technology & Operations team is building media technology and IT systems that meet the world class standard for which Discovery is known. GT&O builds, implements and maintains the business systems and technology that are critical for delivering Discovery’s products, while articulating the long-term technology strategy that will enable Discovery’s growing pay-tv, digital terrestrial, free-to-air and online services to reach more audiences on more platforms.
From Amsterdam to Singapore and from satellite and broadcast operations to SAP, we are driving Discovery forward on the leading edge of technology.