Music Publishing Specialist
Discovery CommunicationsKnoxville, TN
Full Time Job
The Business & Legal Affairs department is responsible for all television business affairs and legal matters related to the acquisition and pre-broadcast review of all content used worldwide by Discovery’s television networks. The department negotiates and drafts acquisition, commission, co-production, and talent agreements; reviews scripts and rough cuts of programs prior to broadcast to minimize legal exposure; analyzes media rights associated with all programming agreements; responds to usage requests made by the company’s many lines of businesses; and provides advice and counsel on a wide array of production-related and legal issues such as guild, insurance, and rights clearances.
The Music Publishing Specialist is responsible for the registration and administration of the company’s owned music assets with domestic and international music performing rights collection societies. The role is the key daily operational contact for quality control of the company’s owned music assets.
1. Maintain a listing of the collective publishing catalog and ensure that the company’s owned music assets are properly registered with the collection societies. Use the company’s Music Maestro application to register music.
2. Review music cue sheet information upon request to make sure the data accurately reflects the percentage of ownership for newly the company’s owned music assets.
3. Interact with international sub-publishers as applicable to ensure company’s owned music assets are accurately registered with the local collection societies via the sub-publisher.
4. Supply cue sheets to sub-publishers as needed for royalty collection purposes.
5. Analyze processes and make recommendations designed to deliver continued business process improvements affecting the administration of company’s music publishing assets.
6. File manual music cue sheets as needed with the collection societies. Provide revised music cues sheets to the collection societies upon request.
7. For administration deals, register and monitor client’s music assets and respond to queries from the collection society regarding client’s copyrights.
8. Provide monthly metrics reports and other information as needed by the supervisor.
9. Any other duties as determined by the supervisor.
* A proven skill base covering the above functions would be a key advantage.
* 2 years of experience in the music industry that is preferably related to music publishing and administration.
* The ideal candidate will have a working knowledge of music rights (e.g., synchronization, master, mechanical, publisher share, composer share) and concepts related to audio-visual secondary rights.
* Must have strong IT skills and be comfortable with databases, Excel, Word, and PowerPoint.
* Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to work effectively at all levels within the company.
* Clear and concise communicator (both orally and written) and able to summarize complex information.
* Well organized with excellent attention to detail.
* Minimum of 2 years relevant experience.
* Bachelor’s degree. Master’s degree a plus.
* Attention to editorial detail and proven experience handling large volume of documents on deadline required.
* Familiarity with digital document management systems preferred.
* Experience with contract review and administration preferred.
* Ability to work in a deadline-driven environment on multiple projects and stay calm under pressure.
* The ideal candidate will be a bright, diligent self-starter who thinks and communicates clearly, is well organized, proactive, and grasps concepts quickly.
* Emotionally intelligent outlook with the ability to diffuse and calm others.
* Inclusive behavior and makes sure all key stakeholders are kept in the loop.
* Ability to manage time judiciously and deal effectively with competing interests.
* Enthusiastic, confident, sociable, and able to interact with clients from different cultures and backgrounds.
* Team player with a flexible and hands on approach.
* Must have the legal right to work in the United States.
Knoxville, Tennessee, KX, TN