Music Product Manager
Discovery CommunicationsKnoxville, TN
Full Time Job
The Music Product Manager will oversee the company’s external facing production music library website and all corresponding content metadata associated with the music placed on the website. This position will also interact with internal and external program executives and select library music for placement in long and short form programs.
1. Manage the company’s production music library website and the underlying technology supporting the website. Assign titles, write descriptions, select genres, and create all metadata related to the musical compositions placed on the website.
2. Oversee asset workflow for the music library website including, but not limited to, asset collection, formatting, archiving, digital packaging, and metadata structure for delivery to digital distribution platforms.
3. Interact with internal and external program executives and select music for placement in long and short form programs.
4. Handle music administration tasks such as registering music with collection societies and reviewing music cue sheets upon request.
5. Display a deep understanding of musical styles that are appropriate for currently produced content.
6. Anticipate musical styles that are likely to be requested so that music can be composed in advance of these emerging musical styles.
7. At the request of internal program executives, collaborate with external program executives to demonstrate best practices (e.g., selection, editing, placement) for the use of music in a program.
8. Provide technical and distribution support for internal and external users of the website.
9. Any other duties as determined by the supervisor.
* A proven skill base covering the above functions would be a key advantage.
* Music composition skills are a plus.
* Experience working on the Soundminer software is a plus.
* 3 years of experience in the music industry or a similar industry.
* Must have a strong working knowledge of music rights (e.g., synchronization, master, mechanical, publisher share, composer share).
* Must have strong IT skills and be comfortable with databases, Excel, Word, and PowerPoint.
* Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to work effectively at all levels within the company.
* Clear and concise communicator (both orally and written) and able to summarize complex information.
* Well organized with excellent attention to detail.
* Strong commitment to enacting process improvement initiatives throughout the supply chain delivery process for music.
* Ability to work in a deadline-driven environment on multiple projects and stay calm under pressure.
* The ideal candidate will be a bright, diligent self-starter who thinks and communicates clearly, is well organized, proactive, and grasps concepts quickly.
* Emotionally intelligent outlook with the ability to diffuse and calm others.
* Inclusive behavior and makes sure all key stakeholders are kept in the loop.
* Ability to manage time judiciously and deal effectively with competing interests.
* Enthusiastic, confident, sociable, and able to interact with clients from different cultures and backgrounds.
* Team player with a flexible and hands on approach.
* Bachelor’s degree or equivalent are required. Master's degree is a plus.
* Must have the legal right to work in the United States.
Knoxville, Tennessee, KX, TN
The Business & Legal Affairs department is responsible for all television business affairs and legal matters related to the acquisition and pre-broadcast review of all content used worldwide by Discovery’s television networks. The department negotiates and drafts acquisition, commission, co-production, and talent agreements; reviews scripts and rough cuts of programs prior to broadcast to minimize legal exposure; analyzes media rights associated with all programming agreements; responds to usage requests made by the company’s many lines of businesses; and provides advice and counsel on a wide array of production-related and legal issues such as guild, insurance, and rights clearances.