Manager - Music Administration
Discovery CommunicationsKnoxville, TN
Full Time Job
The Business & Legal Affairs department is responsible for all television business affairs and legal matters related to the acquisition and pre-broadcast review of all content used worldwide by Discovery’s television networks. The department negotiates and drafts acquisition, commission, co-production, and talent agreements; reviews scripts and rough cuts of programs prior to broadcast to minimize legal exposure; analyzes media rights associated with all programming agreements; responds to usage requests made by the company’s many lines of businesses; and provides advice and counsel on a wide array of production-related and legal issues such as guild, insurance, and rights clearances.
The Manager, Music Administration will play a significant role by overseeing the company’s global music publishing registration, music cue sheet compliance, and royalty collection for its owned music assets. This position will also be responsible for managing the company’s audio-visual secondary rights royalty collection.
1. Responsible for all music publishing administration duties and royalty collections for Discovery’s owned music assets.
2. Manage technology such as Soundmouse music cue sheet system and Music Maestro copyright and royalty application, which are key to generating revenue for the music assets.
3. Oversee all administrative processes that affect revenue-generating agreements on behalf of Discovery’s music publishing catalog (e.g., sub-publishing arrangements, co-publishing deals) as well as audio/visual secondary rights royalties.
4. Maintain strong professional relationships with performing rights organizations, music labels, mechanical licensing companies, and external music publishers to optimize music revenue streams.
5. Supervise the daily duties and project initiatives for the Royalties Accountant, Music Publishing Specialist, and Music Cue Sheet Specialist on the team.
6. Any other duties as determined by the supervisor.
* A proven skill base covering the above functions would be a key advantage.
* 3 years of experience leading a team in music administration, television, print publishing, or a similar industry that focuses on intellectual property registration and royalty collection.
* Must have a strong working knowledge of music rights (e.g., synchronization, master, mechanical, publisher share, composer share) and concepts related to audio-visual secondary rights.
* Solid grasp of the fundamentals of intellectual property.
* Must have strong IT skills and be comfortable with databases, Excel, Word, and PowerPoint.
* Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to work effectively at all levels within the company.
* Clear and concise communicator (both orally and written) and able to summarize complex information.
* Well organized with excellent attention to detail.
* Minimum of 3 years relevant experience.
* Bachelor’s degree or equivalent are required. Master’s degree a plus.
* Able to motivate team members for best performance and prioritize projects in a fast-paced environment.
* Strong commitment to enacting process improvement initiatives throughout the supply chain delivery process for music.
* Excellent presentation and sales skills.
* Ability to work in a deadline-driven environment on multiple projects and stay calm under pressure.
* The ideal candidate will be a bright, diligent self-starter who thinks and communicates clearly, is well organized, proactive, and grasps concepts quickly.
* Emotionally intelligent outlook with the ability to diffuse and calm others.
* Inclusive behavior and makes sure all key stakeholders are kept in the loop.
* Ability to manage time judiciously and deal effectively with competing interests.
* Enthusiastic, confident, sociable, and able to interact with clients from different cultures and backgrounds.
* Team player with a flexible and hands on approach.
* Must have the legal right to work in the United States.
Knoxville, Tennessee, KX, TN