Manager- Business & Legal Affairs
Discovery CommunicationsNew York, NY
Full Time Job
Discovery Inc. seeks a bright, highly motivated and client-focused individual to join Business & Legal Affairs. The Manager will support internal Digital groups and Discovery Studios, the internal production unit of Discovery, Inc., to maintain best practices and ensure consistency across projects in adherence to Discovery’s standards. This position acts as a point of contact for internal Digital groups and Discovery Studios regarding production related agreements, content review, and digital/linear production support on matters of rights and clearances. Additionally, the Manager will help maintain effective legal and operational communications and processes.
1. Draft, negotiate, and review a high volume and variety of content related agreements, including without limitation, production agreements, independent contractor agreements, talent agreements, and music licenses.
2. Review scripts and rough cuts of production content prior to distribution, and advise on matters of rights & clearances.
3. Provide instruction to new production staff and assist with training on Discovery deliverables and the rights and clearances production process.
4. Monitor production staff throughout their deliverables execution to provide quality control and accurate delivery to network standards.
5. Lead the deliverables screening to ensure elements in programs are properly released.
6. Advise and guide production teams on acquired footage research and licensing.
7. Track rights and restrictions for all Discovery content, and maintain rights database.
8. Manage a high volume of projects and project work-streams.
9. Assist in providing on-going business advice to internal clients concerning digital and linear productions, clearances, and other issues as needed.
10. Advise internal production groups on music licensing, and review corresponding agreements.
11. Establish and maintain strong relationships with Discovery networks, other business units, and third-party producers.
12. Analyze media rights associated with programming agreements and respond to usage requests made by internal clients.
13. Additional rights & clearances projects, as assigned.
* Bachelor’s degree in related field or equivalent experience required.
* J.D. (juris doctor) degree preferred but not required.
* 2 - 3 years of legal/production rights & clearance experience.
* Knowledge of digital media marketplace.
* Legal writing, contract analysis, and negotiation skills required.
* Excellent client service and project management skills.
* Proven track record in delivering quality solutions under tight deadlines and managing multiple project simultaneously with strong follow through.
* High degree of analytical thinking and problem solving.
* Strong attention to detail and excellent organizational skills.
* Experience in maintaining close working relationships with various departments.
* Ability to work as part of a small team; desire to take on extra responsibility and work under own initiative.
* Ability to handle a high-volume work flow and adapt to shifting priorities.
* Experience in multi-tasking many priorities while representing the department in a professional manner.
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
* Proficient in Microsoft Office environment, rights management systems.
* Must have the legal right to work in the United States.
New York City, New York, NYC, NY