Discovery CommunicationsNew York, NY
Full Time Job
Discovery is the number-one nonfiction media company, with a reach that encompasses television as well as digital media, retail products and online educational services. Our goal of helping people to explore their world and satisfy their curiosity depends on maintaining a creative and entrepreneurial environment where individual expression, achievement and recognition go hand-in-hand with our business objectives and performance.
The Corporate Legal department is responsible for all legal matters related to DCI’s businesses and operations, worldwide. The legal department provides advice and counsel on broad range of areas including employment, retail, technology, advertising, marketing, mergers and acquisitions, commercial joint ventures, licensing, trademarks, patents, corporate operations and litigation. This department negotiates and drafts a wide array of contracts including employment agreements, independent contractor agreements, software licenses, bank loans and asset/stock purchase agreements.
1. Assist in organizing and collecting documents for document productions and subpoenas, including searching for, reviewing, numbering, redacting, and preparing the documents for production (under the guidance of an attorney).
2. Organize and maintain internal litigation files, including electronic files for correspondence, pleadings, discovery documents, and witness interview notes.
3. Assist in the management of the legal hold process, including implementing, maintaining, and tracking legal hold notices.
4. Aid in gathering information internally to respond to discovery requests.
5. Draft correspondence in response to various third-party subpoenas and claims, including claims for idea theft, defamation, and invasion of privacy (under the guidance of an attorney).
6. Prepare summaries of new matters for Discovery’s insurers.
7. Perform routine legal research using LexisNexis.
8. Maintain and search Discovery’s internal case trackers and databases, as needed.
9. Act as an internal liaison within Discovery’s legal team by organizing and collecting monthly international litigation reports from Discovery’s lawyers located internationally.
10. Act as a liaison across Discovery’s departments and outside law firms, as needed.
11. Assist in tracking and preparing litigation and claims charts for Discovery’s auditors.
12. Performing administrative duties (calendar hearings and deadlines, etc.), as needed.
* Bachelor’s degree required.
* 3-5 years relevant paralegal experience.
* Strong familiarity with the U.S. litigation process, U.S. court systems, PACER, and a general knowledge of various types of pleadings and motions.
* Ability to work in a fast paced, often high-profile environment.
* Strong communication and organizational skills.
* Ability to function on an independent basis, with moderate supervision and as part of a larger team.
* Ability to handle a high volume of work and multi-task a variety of assignments, as well as recognize priorities and manage time effectively to meet deadlines.
* Flexibility to work within an evolving and changing environment.
* Excellent computer skills a must (including Microsoft Word, Excel, Power Point, knowledge/experience setting up databases, tables, knowledge of redlining software).
* Must have the legal right to work in the United States.
New York City, New York, NY, NYC