Discovery CommunicationsSterling, VA
Full Time Job
The Junior Editor position is the first tier in the Editing career path at Discovery. This position is a supporting role for Editors and Senior Editors in the facility. Junior Editors will be encouraged and given the tools to develop and grow the skill sets needed to be a successful broadcast Editor at Discovery Inc.
All Junior Editors should have some knowledge of the broadcast environment and will, at minimum need to have completed the official Avid 101 class. The goal of this position is to build a solid technical foundation on the Avid system and related post production equipment such as file-based creation and delivery. The focus of the Junior Editor is to become an expert on Avid functionality, session workflows and project organization as they pertain to specific projects and the facility.
All Junior Editors should become familiar and comfortable with the different styles of editing done in the facility. They should actively seek participation in mentorship programs to learn from the seasoned experts in the various disciplines of editing. Discovery encourages and provides continued training, and all Editors are expected to utilize this to improve and expand their skill sets.
A Junior Editor must be able to work all shifts when necessary and subject to change, with the possibility of working with or without supervision.
A Junior Editor will be responsible for performing junior level editing sessions. These sessions may involve creating Avid projects, capturing and logging footage, prepping and importing graphic and audio files and managing media and editing cut to clocks for domestic and International use. They may be tasked with keeping projects organized.
1. Complete all sessions assigned.
2. Ensure all deliverables are accurate and adhere to Discovery’s Global Deliverables.
3. Work in tandem with all Editors, Management, Audio and Engineering and devise creative workflows.
4. Make changes to a sequence as per the Editor/Supervisor/Manager’s instructions, adding graphics to a sequence and assembling rough cuts from a script.
5. May be required to provide an edit report at the end of their shift.
6. Must be punctual and reliable both in attendance and in meeting deadlines.
7. Must display strong professional and customer relations skillset daily.
8. Other duties as assigned.
NOTE: This position is considered an essential position. This means that during times of inclement weather, emergencies, or when access to the workplace may be impeded, that employees in this position are expected to report to work to support business continuance, unless otherwise instructed by his/her direct manager.
* 2 or more years of editing/technical experience in Post Production
* Bachelor’s degree in TV/Broadcast, Communications or a related field preferred
* Must be able to work all shifts if necessary
* Minimum of 1 year experience with Avid non-linear editing systems
* Completion of Avid 101 course preferred
* Display professional ability in high pressure situations
* Base Knowledge and skills with 3rd party software such as Adobe Photoshop and After Effects
* Ability to demonstrate base knowledge with file-based workflows and digital signals
* Working knowledge of HD broadcasting standards
* Experience as an Assistant Editor is preferred but not required
* Must have the legal right to work in the United States
Sterling, Virginia, VA