Director- Business & Legal Affairs
Discovery CommunicationsNew York, NY
Full Time Job
The Director, Business & Legal Affairs role is for a bright, highly motivated individual who can independently handle complex negotiations and draft contracts for the Discovery digital platforms and provide development and production support for matters primarily focused on the creation and distribution of digital content, including but not limited to short form, long form, and social media content.
1. Assume independent responsibility for complex deal negotiations and preparation of contracts for developing, producing, financing, and/or acquiring digital content to be distributed on all of Discovery’s digital platforms.
2. Negotiate and draft all business and legal terms with representatives for production companies for development, commission, co-production, acquisition, and other related agreements, including standard terms and conditions, and ancillary deal components such as the licensing and granting of rights.
3. Negotiate and draft all terms of a variety of talent deals and manage all aspects of the provision of personal services to Discovery throughout the life of the talent deal, including oversight of all business transactions between the talent and the Discovery units that utilize talent’s services.
4. Review and/or negotiate and draft digital content partnership agreements.
5. Advise and support senior network executives and internal business units on emerging legal issues around digital content, including copyright, defamation, trademark, right of privacy and publicity, advertising, affiliate marketing and content-related issues (i.e., talent, production, etc.).
6. Assume accountability for deals under tight timelines while acquiring appropriate rights within budgetary parameters.
7. Manage business practices in concert with network editorial/creative and production management.
* Qualified candidates must have a JD and be a member of the New York Bar.
* Minimum of 6-8 years of in-depth negotiating and drafting experience is a core requirement within the entertainment or digital media industries. Experience working in-house in the business affairs or legal department of a cable or broadcast television network or studio, digital content media company or commensurate experience in the entertainment/media division of a law firm is preferred.
* Knowledge of the areas of law required: intellectual property law, corporate law, technology law, data and privacy law.
* Candidate should possess excellent organizational skills, be extremely detail oriented and highly organized to be able handle a high volume of multiple projects simultaneously and to work under tight timelines.
* Excellent interpersonal skills, including clear and effective written and verbal communication skills with and to Discovery executives, internal clients and the outside entertainment community.
* Must be self -motivated with demonstrated ability to take initiative, make firm decisions, and offer a high level of customer service.
* Must have the legal right to work in the United States.
New York City, New York, NYC, NY
The Business & Legal Affairs department is responsible for all business and legal matters related to the production, acquisition and pre-broadcast review of all content distributed worldwide by Discovery Inc.’s television networks and digital platforms. More specifically, this group negotiates and drafts acquisition, commission, co-production and talent agreements; reviews scripts and rough cuts of programs prior to broadcast in order to minimize legal exposure; analyzes media rights associated with all programming agreements and responds to usage requests made by the company’s many lines of businesses; and provides advice and counsel on a wide array of production-related, business and legal issues such as production and talent-related legal issues insurance, and rights clearances.