Discovery CommunicationsKnoxville, TN
Full Time Job
An exciting opportunity for an experienced Cloud Architect has been created with Discovery. The role will be responsible for the architecture of all infrastructure technology supporting our global enterprise services (public cloud as well as on-premises technology). In addition, the role will focus on architecture, solutions delivery and enablement for our business in the Americas and abroad, publication of cloud technology standards globally, and be a key member of the Cloud Services team of the Global Infrastructure and Support Services organization.
The Discovery landscape is broad and dynamic, with client groups ranging from internal enterprise application teams, broadcast technology team, as well as consumer product and app teams. The candidate must, first and foremost, be an agile thinker and effectively partner with the business to ensure technology solutions are aligned with market strategies. Discovery is aggressively adopting new technologies in our business whether it be leveraging cloud, automation of process via traditional engineering or AI techniques, or devising new and innovative ways to distribute our content.
The ideal candidate will be excited by all things technology and especially on cloud technology. AWS will be your primary playground, but expect projects driven by Google Cloud as well as Azure. Jenkins, DevOps, CI/CD, Serverless, and Containers are all leveraged in Discovery’s landscape and have a heavy focus in this position.
The role is primarily collaborative and centered on clear communication with all levels of the business. The successful candidate will be able to build and nurture these relationships, ensuring Discovery is aligned to global standards to maximize our efficiencies and leverage economies of scale – while also driving local innovation where opportunity is present.
• Architecture, Design and implementation of AWS, Google GCP, and Microsoft Azure infrastructure and services. Primary focus will be on AWS with broadening scope for other clouds.
• Define and inform on standards/design patterns to ensure compatibility and integration in cloud environments.
• Responsible for the complete process of infrastructure design, including systems analysis, security, network and systems configuration.
• Understands key architectural principles for cloud and enterprise systems and infrastructure.
• Identifies key barriers/core problems and applies problem-solving skills in order to deal creatively with complex situations.
• Must be able to motivate and inspire through technical leadership and experience
• Has the ability to think critically about problems and apply those principles to building repeatable and reusable processes
• Broadly disseminate information regarding new technological developments
• Build and maintain relationships across departments
• Promote sound fiscal management
• Demonstrate broad knowledge of technology principles, practices, and procedures
• Provide guidance during the decision making process for business and technical solutions.
• Leverages people skills to work with business, management, architects, and engineers to define and develop artifacts
• Provide oversight to teams evaluating and working with major cloud providers and vendors
• Lead strategic projects to assure that cloud solutions deliver business solutions that meet business objectives, are secure, reliable, meet service levels, and are recoverable.
• Focus efforts on total-cost-of ownership and advance capabilities by moving or re-deploying applications to SAAS, PAAS, or IAAS
• Remain sufficiently flexible to pursue aggressive development and expansion of new services
• Development of a structured, standardized, and consolidated set of services that optimally support business processes and applications
• BS degree in Computer Science or Business; MS preferred
• 7 years of overall IT experience, Minimum of 3 years in technology leadership role
• 1 years experience with Cloud (IaaS, PaaS, SaaS) services and solutions
• In depth knowledge of infrastructure architecture including application servers, middleware, systems management, monitoring, configuration management, capacity planning and performance tuning, highly available architectures
• Strong organizational, task, and project management skills
• Self-motivated and able to work across diverse technical and non-technical team
• Strong written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills
• Advanced understanding of infrastructure technologies - Server, network, storage, management technologies
• Public cloud provider experience (AWS, Azure, Google)
• Managed services experience creating, managing, and delivering
• Experience with IT transformation - data center consolidations and migration
• Knowledge of architecture and service models (TOGAF, SOA)
• Understanding of the need for governance, risk, security, and compliance
• Product (service) management skills
• Virtualization knowledge
• Strong communication skills
• Preferred: strong familiarity of CI/CD, Jenkins, Chef, Ansible, Bitbucket, Github