Lead Engineer, Restoration
Deluxe EntertainmentLos Angeles, CA
Full Time Job
We have an opening for a Lead Audio Restoration Engineer. This position will be located in Hollywood, CA.
We are seeking a Lead Audio Restoration Engineer with specialized knowledge and experience in the restoration and preservation of film and television sound. The Lead Audio Restoration Engineer is responsible for training staff, troubleshooting software and equipment, and tests to software and hardware products. The ideal candidate should have a strong knowledge of legacy audio formats as well as the latest processing tools for audio restoration. This role is client-facing, so candidates should have experience working directly with studio personnel, and prior relationships with major studio clients are preferred.
• Train Restoration Engineers on audio restoration workflows, techniques, and standards.
• Set the company's restoration aesthetic and ensure that staff consistently meets it.
• Evaluate in-house restorations to ensure that they meet the quality standards of Deluxe and its clients and offer feedback to the engineers who are responsible.
• Troubleshoot challenges presented by client material or by onsite gear/software.
• Keep up-to-date on the latest archival industry trends; recommend new hardware and software and beta-test to ensure quality and efficiency standards are met.
• Work with studio clients and Deluxe account management personnel to meet specifications and vision set for each project.
• Evaluate audio sources for quality and configuration.
• Synchronize preferred audio to final video files.
• Use Pro Tools and industry-standard processing plug-ins and software to restore legacy film and television sound tracks to as near original intent as possible.
• Ability to repair/correct noise, hum, clicks, pops, buzzes, wow, crackle, phase, azimuth, and other anomalies either inherent in legacy recording formats or induced due to age and deterioration of original elements.
• Revitalization and remastering of more recent or previously restored tracks, including upmixing from mono or 2.0 stereo to 5.1 or other multichannel formats.
• Music and effects editorial, including laff track re-cutting to match master composite tracks.
• Create audio assets that conform to client specifications and are ready for delivery.
• The ability to interpret technical terms and processes and render them comprehensible to clients and Deluxe Account staff is essential.
• Ability to work overtime as required.
• Utilize Microsoft Office applications, such as Word and Excel, in order to create audio QC logs and/or metadata sheets.
• Work within pre-estimated budgets and timelines.
• Provide informed, thorough information to client service representatives regarding audio and source element issues and recommendations for addressing them.
• Work closely with Engineering to ensure that equipment is properly maintained and upgraded.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Preferred minimum of 10 years experience restoring audio sound tracks from a variety of legacy formats, with specific knowledge of a wide range of optical and magnetic soundtrack elements, including both film and tape.
• BS/BA Degree preferred.
• Must have proven experience with most recent versions of Pro Tools as well as experience using Capstan wow-correction software and plug-in tools such as iZotope's RX and spectral tools, Waves WNS and de-esser, Altiverb, Soundcode LTRT Decoder, etc.
• Must also possess a strong working knowledge of and experience with various digital tape formats (DATs, DA-88, video cassettes, etc.), with special emphasis on legacy specifications and encoding formats.
• Knowledge of audio post production frame rates, time code types, audio speeds, channel configurations, and metering scales.
• Must have a background in tailoring client experiences and expectations on a daily basis.
• Strong attention to detail and ability to juggle multiple priorities is key.
• Strong verbal and written communication skills required.
• Experience in fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment. Experience in multimedia, software and/or creative production environment preferred.
• Strong and efficient computer literacy (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, plus experience with project management, flowcharting and database software).
• Strong organizational skills and computer skills are required.
• Flexibility to work extended hours and/or weekends to meet project deadlines.
If you're an independent thinker with a high level of ingenuity and the above qualifications, then we'd like you to join our team!
We offer a competitive salary and great benefits, including 401(k) and tuition reimbursement. Please visit our website to view additional positions and for more information on our company. NO PHONE CALLS OR DROP OFFS PLEASE. EOE M/F/D/V
Deluxe's policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, and will not be discriminated against, on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry, sex, age, physical or mental disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information or any other legally recognized protected basis under federal, state or local laws, regulations or ordinances. Deluxe will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable local, state and federal law.
Applicants with disabilities may be entitled to reasonable accommodation under the terms of the Americans with Disabilities Act and certain state or local laws. A reasonable accommodation is a change in the way things are normally done which will ensure an equal employment opportunity without imposing undue hardship on Deluxe. Please inform the company's personnel representative if you need assistance completing any forms or to otherwise participate in the application process.