Dallas MavericksDallas, TX
Full Time Job
The Dallas Mavericks is currently looking to hire a seasoned Promotional Merchandise Buyer.
The Dallas Mavericks Promotional Merchandise Buyer will be responsible for handling all purchases for promotional merchandise and marketing materials.
The Promo Buyer plans, purchases, communicates, and controls merchandising, pricing, and marketing strategies for assigned lines of business as required: in addition, maximizing sales, profits, and increasing brand exposure that does not compete with retail merchandise.
They will support the corporate sponsorship team, ticket sales team, marketing team, community team, entertainment teams and any other internal team merchandise needs.
The Promo Buyer will report directly to the VP of Merchandise & Brand Identity and will work closely with, and support, the Senior Merchandise Buyer.
They will manage all internal promotional merchandise purchases, then have purchases approved by the VP of Merchandise.
They will provide merchandise presentations, work closely with a wide range of approved vendors, manage quality control, and promotional merchandise schedule needs.
They will maintain inventory levels and essentially manage all merchandise buying day-to-day functions.
They will act and perform in accordance with the Dallas Mavericks mission, vision, branding and philosophy.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
• Develop a strategic merchandise assortment plan for internal department needs specific to the goal or event
• Build strong product assortment presentations with suppliers while negotiating pricing, delivery schedules and shipping methods
• Provide financial forecasting, pricing, marketing and develop seasonal merchandise plans for promotional buys
• Manage the selection and bidding process of new and existing suppliers, negotiate contracts, with support and approval from VP
• Maintain positive, honest relationships with suppliers, internal customers and merchandise support staff
• Integrate our brand, sourcing, marketing and retail supply chain functions into promo merchandise process to make intelligent, savvy business decisions
• Evaluate suppliers based off our company values, new and existing products, including protected category vendors, quality, pricing, shipping methods, customer demand and ROI
• Attends trade shows and conferences to research new industry trends, processes and products
• Identify items to maximize promotional and marketing strategies to determine lifecycle of each promotional item while providing input in creating exit strategy and inventory aging standards
• Train, coach and develop potential assistant buyers and merchandising interns
• Ability to recognize, analyze & quantify market and fashion trends
• Work with the merchandising and digital marketing teams on promotional planning, digital marketing planning, creative and the execution of high-level internet marketing strategies consistent with brand image.
• Work with digital marketing team to develop multi-channel marketing strategies (e-mail, social, direct mail) in support of tickets, corporate, community and other internal departments
• Assist in the planning of the promotional calendar based upon key product/categories, co-op opportunities, marketing themes, and web analytics results.
• Execute creative vision and design that represents overall brand presentation
• Prioritize and work on several projects at a time
• Will work all 41 Dallas Mavericks home games pre-season games unless otherwise specified by VP of Merchandise
• Balance departmental budgets and manage merchandise open-to-buy
PERIODIC OR SECONDARY POSITION FUNCTIONS:
• Support all arena retail functions, including but not limited to, working with arena merchandising staff, all merchandise warehouse processes, store set ups and re-merchandising of all locations.
• Assure that the Dallas Mavericks promo purchases adhere to our qualifications and specifics of vendors, partners, clients and NBA regulations
• Attend external Dallas Mavericks off-site events for marketing support or pop-up retail locations
The above listing of essential and periodic functions is not an inclusive listing of all duties that may be required to be performed. These duties and responsibilities may change at any time.
• Demonstrated ability to build relationships and communicate at all levels, both inside and outside the organization, accept / makes changes due to constructive feedback and must be a team player.
• Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
• Ability to evaluate budget, open-to-buy and inventory levels and take appropriate actions to drive for results.
• Thorough knowledge and understanding of buying & operations gained through progressive buying experience
• Strong quantitative and qualitative analytical skills with a passion for using numerical data to identify and communicate critical, actionable insights to key stakeholders.
• Preferred knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite and graphic design concepts
• Ability to take initiative and think creatively of ways to grow our brand's presence in the marketplace, but not compete with other financially astute extensions of business
• Must be self-motivated and a self-starter; quick learner for a multifaceted business and able to take initiative.
• Must possess strong organizational, project management and problem-solving skills with multi-tasking abilities in a fast-paced corporate environment, with ability to handle deadlines.
• Arrive early and work late if necessary - often product launches, deliveries or processes will happen at midnight or after hours
• Understand and follow posted work rules, procedures and company code of ethics
EDUCATION and EXPERIENCE:
• Bachelor's degree in Retail Buying, Business Marketing, Merchandising or related field.
• Two to five years of expertise in merchandise buying, merchandise marketing, or related experience preferred
• Experience in product selection, merchandising, and business analysis
• Proven track record of increasing revenue and profit within a merchandise buying environment
• Proven ability to work effectively cross functionally with marketing, internal departments, external approved vendors and suppliers to drive marketing initiatives forward
• Creativity in maximizing tight budgets and limited resources will be instrumental to your success
• A hands-on self-starter, with a can-do positive attitude, willing to roll up their sleeves to do whatever it takes to get the job done, and a strong work ethic will also be essential.
• This role requires a good blend of analytical skills, open-to-buy management, purchasing knowledge and excellent computer skills
This is primarily a sedentary office position which requires the E-commerce Manager to have the ability to operate computer equipment, speak, hear, bend, stoop, reach, lift, and move and carry up to 25 lbs. Finger dexterity is necessary.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
• How did you hear about this job?
• Do you currently or have you ever worked for the Dallas Mavericks?
• Do you have a Bachelor's degree in Retail Buying, Business Marketing, Merchandising or related field?
• Do you have two to five years of expertise in merchandise buying, merchandise marketing, or related experience preferred?
• Why are you the best candidate for the promotional merchandise buyer position?
• Describe your work ethic in 3 words.