Events and Visits Officer
Consulate General of CanadaNew York, NY
Full Time Job
Events and Visits Officer (Anticipatory Staffing)
Position Title: Events and Visits Officer- Anticipatory Staffing
Section: Common Services
Location: The Consulate General of Canada in New York and the Permanent Mission of Canada to the United Nations.
Position Number: TBC
Competition No: 2018-19
Posting Date: September 27, 2018
Closing Date: October 11, 2018
Employment tenure: There is one position available of indeterminate status. This competitive staffing process may be used to create an eligibility list of qualified candidates for this position and other similar positions at the same level, with various tenures, including indeterminate, term, assignment/transfer, and/or acting opportunities at the Consulate General of Canada in New York and the Permanent Mission of Canada to the United Nations.
• Persons living in the United States;
• Employees of the Consulate General of Canada in New York and the Permanent Mission of Canada to the United Nations;
• Employees of any Canadian Mission in the United States ;
• Spouses and dependents of Canada-based staff at the Consulate General of Canada in New York and Permanent Mission of Canada to the United Nations.
Note: Relocation expenses will not be paid in any circumstance.
All applicants must:
• Meet all of the Essential Qualifications stated below.
• Be resident in the United States.
• Submit resumes and a one-page cover letter by the closing date. The cover letter must specify, using concrete examples, how you meet the essential qualifications, i.e., language, education, experience, for this position.
Note: Failure to provide any of the information required above will result in your application being rejected. All communication relating to this process, including email correspondence may be used in the assessment of qualifications.
Summary of duties:
Under the general direction of the Deputy Management & Consular Officer (DMCO), the Events and Visits Officer directs the operations of a team of events staff who plan, support and deliver official events held at the Consulate General and Permanent Mission and the Official Residences ; manages the Events and Visits unit staff and budget; cultivates a network of internal and external clients and stakeholders; provides advice and guidance to internal and external clients on events-related policies; and manages the logistics team and coordination of high level (Ministerial and above) visits to New York.
Condition of employment (must be met):
• Eligibility for a Government of Canada Reliability Status which includes a criminal and credit background check; and
• Independent work authorization in the United States and status in accordance with United States protocol directives for foreign missions.
Candidates must demonstrate clearly how they meet the Language, Education and Experience qualifications listed below:
A high degree of fluency in written and oral English is required.
Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university in a field related to the duties and specific areas of competence required by the position.
1. A minimum of 5 years of recent experience, in event planning, managing and execution of complex events.
2. A minimum of 5 years of experience, managing and supervising a multi-disciplinary team of at least 3 members.
3. Recent experience in managing client and key stakeholder relationships.
4. Recent experience in coordinating logistics for executives/VIP guests.
5. Recent experience in developing policies/procedures or standard operating procedures for staff and clients for events.
6. Recent experience in providing briefings and advice to senior management.
*Recent defined in the last 8 years.
Candidates who meet the Education and Experience requirements will be assessed on the following qualifications:
• Knowledge of the priorities and programs of Global Affairs Canada;
• Knowledge of event planning and implementations, including needs assessment;
• Knowledge of Canadian branding, advocacy and business opportunities for Global Affairs Canada; and
• Knowledge in working with Microsoft Office applications and mobile platforms.
• Ability to communicate clearly and effectively, both orally and in writing;
• Ability to network and maintain a network of vendors;
• Ability to analyze situations, make recommendations and implement solutions;
• Ability to work effectively in a team environment as well as independently;
• Ability to manage multiple priorities with tight deadlines;
• Strong organization skills and attention to details;
• Ability to bridge varying competing interests
• Ability to work across departments and build consensus;
• Ability to provide excellent client service, maintaining composure when dealing with unusual situations or difficult clients;
• Ability to build a cohesive team and manage performance of subordinates;
• Demonstrate strong interpersonal skills; and
• Ability to think strategically.
• People/Team leadership;
• Adaptability and Flexibility;
• Tact & diplomacy;
• Client Focus;
• Sound judgement / problem solving; and
• The ability to communicate in French, orally and in writing
Hours of work: Normal hours of work for this position are in accordance with Locally-Engaged Staff regulations of 37.5 hours per week. The successful candidate must be willing to work evenings, holiday events and overtime as required.
Starting Salary: $109,224 USD The the Consulate General of Canada in New York and the Permanent Mission of Canada to the United Nations offers a competitive salary, generous leave and a strong benefits package to include medical, dental, long term disability, and a pension plan to name a few.
The staffing process will consist of a review of all applications to ensure that applicants meet the essential qualifications. Please note that failure to meet any of the essential qualifications eliminates candidates from further consideration in the competition. Only those applicants who meet these will be contacted by the Human Resources Section for an interview or other form(s) of assessment (a written test, an in-basket exercise, and /or a skills test) of the Rated Requirements for the position.
The Consulate General of Canada in New York and the Permanent Mission of Canada to the United Nations is committed to conducting inclusive, barrier-free selection processes.
The the Consulate General of Canada in New York and the Permanent Mission of Canada to the United Nations offers a competitive salary, generous leave and a strong benefits package to include medical, dental, long term disability, and a pension plan to name a few.
Method of application:
Apply via: http://www.wfca-tpce.com/vacancyView.php?requirementId=2696&source=PO by the closing date. Website: Apply At Employer's Site