ConfidentialLos Angeles, CA
Full Time Job
A full-service independent studio and distribution company is looking for a very hands-on Controller who will excel in a fast-paced & dynamic environment.
The Controller is responsible for the company's financial plans and policies, its accounting practices, the maintenance of its fiscal records, and the preparation of financial reports. This position will oversee the timely monthly close of the General Ledger, consolidation, and reporting of financial results, coordination of audits, and the development of and compliance to internal controls. Additionally, this position includes responsibility for all daily activities for and development of a team of employees. Reports to Chief Financial Officer.
• Maintain the company's overall system of accounts, books and records on all company transactions and assets.
• Ensures accurate & timely financials are in compliance with US GAAP standards with adherence to tight closing calendar. Identifies any areas of concern in financials for investigation & resolves.
• Understands and manages all aspects from the accounting point of view for Film Accounting including Ultimates for Revenue, Film Costs, Participations, and Residuals.
• Reviews and ensures timely completion of internal financials, bank financials and other financial packages.
• Ensures financial accounts are properly supported and reconciled.
• Manage company's daily cash flow.
• Ensure compliance with all federal, state, and local corporate, payroll, and other applicable taxes and regulations.
• Responsible for establishing and ensuring compliance to internal controls. Continually updates processes & procedures bringing accounting to best in class.
• Completes monthly and quarterly reports for bank covenant reporting.
• Reviews and ensures accurate and timely computation and payment of payroll, commissions, and expenses.
• Manages consolidation of company entities including eliminations and recording of investment in joint ventures.
• Lead the efforts from an accounting point of view for the establishment of any new entities.
• Full coordination of audit and the gathering of required audit information, preparation of financial statements & footnotes, and preparation of tax accounts.
• Ensures 1099 and tax reporting is completed on a timely basis.
• Directs the daily activities and the career development of team members, including hiring, coaching, reviewing work, establishing goals and performance management of team members as required.
• Supervises all Accounting staff
• Strong and broad experience in accounting and ability to apply strong GAAP knowledge to business scenarios.
• A high level of initiative and drive. Natural sense of ownership for projects and duties.
• Communication skills for credibility at all levels of the organization
• Strong technical and PC skills (particularly Microsoft Excel and Access)
• Informal leadership qualities with ability to drive change effectively across functional areas
• Thorough knowledge of accounting processes and procedures.
• Complete understanding of complex revenue recognition and film amortization policies required in the production/distribution environment.
• Handles confidential and sensitive information and records with a high degree of discretion, diligence and good judgment.
• Demonstrates excellent written and verbal communication skills. Listens effectively, transmits information accurately and understandably, and actively seeks feedback.
• Well-organized, self-directed team player. Remains open to others' ideas, and exhibits willingness to try new things.
• Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner and gathers and analyzes information skillfully.
• Adapts to changes in the work environment, manages competing demands and is able to deal with frequent change, delays or unexpected events.
• Prioritizes and plans work activities, uses time efficiently and develops realistic action plans.
• Demonstrates professionalism, discretion, and good judgment in all interactions with co-workers, customers, vendors and others.
• Must have Bachelor's degree in Accounting, MBA a plus
• CPA is required
• Minimum 7-10 years of prior Accounting experience with 2-3 years in a leadership position
• Minimum 5 years of Entertainment Industry experience with experience in film revenue and cost accounting using ultimates
• Experience supervising an audit
• Public accounting experience in a Big 4 ideal
• Solid working understanding of film production and distribution accounting practices in line with ASC 926.
• Experience consolidating multiple entities
• Understanding and experience in dealing with foreign currencies and accounting thereof
• Skilled with PCs, accounting software, and MS Office including advanced Excel skills
Please note that candidates who are qualified for this position will be requested to complete an employment pre-screening test.
Please note that EntertainmentCareers.Net uses 'disposable' email addresses in our postings. They change frequently so do not post the contact information outside of EntertainmentCareers.Net as it will likely be invalid.
Employer will allow resumes sent in the body of the email OR as an attachment. Apply Online