Copy Editor, CNBC Acorns
CNBCNew York, NY
Full Time Job
CNBC is partnering with Acorns, the country's fastest growing financial wellness system, on the importance of educating current and future investors. We are building an editorial and production team to create actionable, relatable and uplifting personal finance and investing content which will inspire and empower everyday Americans to make informed financial decisions.
The Copy Editor will be responsible for overseeing spelling, syntax, grammar, style and ensuring consistency for written articles, video copy, graphics and social media posts. The Copy Editor will also help writers and producers with fact-checking and issues of structure and ensure that all written content has proper voice, context, balance, and clarity.
PLEASE NOTE: This is a short term position with an estimated duration of eighteen (18) months, unless otherwise amended or terminated as deliverables within this project are completed.
may include, but are not limited to:
• Proofread stories thoroughly and edit content copy on deadline
• Ensure tone of content is in line with editorial strategy set by Managing Editor
• Help establish and maintain style guidelines
• Assist writers, editors and producers with writing headlines and captions
• Special projects as assigned
• Bachelor's degree, or comparable professional experience
• At least 5 years working as a copy editor in daily journalism
• Strong knowledge of AP style and business news but able to adapt to writing style that is relatable, conversational and understandable for a wider, non-financial audience
• Ability to quickly edit complicated financial news stories to ensure they are understandable and relatable for a broad user base
• Outstanding communication skills
• Demonstrated experience in helping writers and editors improve and tighten copy under news deadlines
• Ability to work quickly and under pressure
• Working knowledge of digital media technology
• Excellent teamwork skills and strong work ethic
• Must be willing to work in New York, NY and Englewood Cliffs, NJ
• Experience or interest in business journalism or personal finance and investing topics
• Knowledge of financial markets and terminology