Senior Scene Technician (Audiovisual)
Cal PerformancesBerkeley, CA
Full Time Job
Cal Performances is recruiting for the career position of Senior Scene Technician (Audiovisual).
Cal Performances is the performing arts presenting, commissioning and producing organization based at the University of California, Berkeley.
Senior Scene Technicians have demonstrated expertise in one or more area of stage specialization (listed below) and can work independently in that area with general supervision from either the event sponsor or their designate, or from the Master Carpenter, Master Electrician, Audio Department Head, or designate. Incumbent has familiarity of technical areas outside of their specialization and is able to perform general duties in those areas. Under the general supervision of the Master Carpenter, Master Electrician, Audio Department Head, or designated touring personnel, incumbent may be responsible for the direction of stage crews for the implementation of technical elements of events in Cal Performances' venues or other venues as assigned.
Senior Scene Technicians shall have an understanding of and a demonstrated ability to function under performance conditions.
• Minimum of 3 years of experience as an AV Technician in a professional setting: installing and operating various sound and visual media systems for performing arts (theatre, dance and music) presentations, concerts, recitals, conferences, broadcasts and webcasts.
• Minimum of 3 years of experience with cameras, projectors, and screens of all types, including the various digital and analog protocols, connectivity and distribution, video format resolutions, source media and various aspect ratios.
• Strong knowledge and understanding of AV system networking. Will have the ability to design, implement and troubleshoot systems. Must have knowledge and experience with three phase AC power distribution.
• Excellent technical knowledge of setting up and operation of sound reinforcement systems and their components. Must possess demonstrable knowledge of patching, trouble shooting and soldering ability.
• Experience with wireless microphone and in-ear monitor systems, wireless and fixed stage communication systems, radios.
• Strong working knowledge of Keynote and Power Point; experienced with a variety of movie, slide show and super-title systems.
• Willingness and ability to learn venue specific systems and operating procedures and maintain and/or improve upon them.
• Ability to recognize production needs in regards to available venue expendables stock and fixed equipment and alert supervisors to potential shortfalls.
• Ability to recognize unsafe working practices and correct them or bring them to the attention of supervisors.
• Familiar with all aspects of production enough to successfully coordinate across all technical areas to ensure timely realization of event.
• Demonstrates an appropriate knowledge of the elements involved in rigging, counter weight system, electrics, and stage management.
• Very good computer skills and a high comfort level with technology. Familiar with general computer networking systems and TCP/IP systems. Must possess the ability to apply knowledge to various specialty networks as needed.
• Strong knowledge of entertainment production techniques. Familiarity with all aspects of production and the ability to recognize best practices to safely achieve production goals.
• Ability to read and understand basic production paperwork (e.g., audio stage plots, input lists, signal flow charts, lighting plots, line set schedules, etc).
• Ability to coordinate across technical areas to ensure timely realization of event.
• Strong leadership skills and the ability to exhibit a positive, approachable attitude; open mindedness and objectivity, a willingness to collaborate, and general professionalism and civility at all times.
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills to successfully interact with a diverse constituency and ability to work with people with varied skill levels.
• Excellent organizational and time management skills with the ability to independently follow through to successful completion of projects in a timely manner.
• Able to quickly and easily adapt to changing situations and priorities in a calm and professional manner.
• Able to work under pressure of deadlines and in a fast paced environment under performance conditions which require a near 0% failure rate.
• Able to work long hours, overtime, nights, weekends, and holidays.
• Ability to move and manage items weighing up to 75 lbs.
• Ability to work at heights utilizing ladders and personnel lifts once properly trained, around moving machinery, and with exposure to noise, vibration, dust, and drafts.
• Appreciation for a wide variety of performing arts, including dance, music, and theatre preferred.
Job Code: 25111