Video Acquisitions Manager
BuzzfeedLos Angeles, CA
Full Time Job
BuzzFeed is the world's leading tech-powered, diversified media company that reaches hundreds of millions of people globally through its cross-platform news and entertainment network. The company produces articles, lists, quizzes, videos, and original series; lifestyle content through brands including Tasty, the world's largest social food network; original reporting and investigative journalism through BuzzFeed News and HuffPost; an industry-leading affiliate business, strategic partnerships, licensing and product development through BuzzFeed Commerce; and original productions across broadcast, cable, SVOD, film and digital platforms for BuzzFeed Studios.
BuzzFeed is looking for a creative, adaptable, and resourceful Video Acquisitions Manager to work full-time out of our NY or LA office, leading and managing a team of internal Video Producers acquiring content from external video partners. The ideal candidate will have management experience and a firm sense of what's widely shared on online video and social platforms, with a focus on short form video. In this role you will leverage the unique opportunity to partner with a range of external creators on all platforms, using BuzzFeed as a distribution network. Candidates should be looking to hone business skills in an entrepreneurial environment. The Ideal candidate will have the following skills and experience:
• Experience working with external video producers and talent in a large scale environment
• Identifying, hiring and onboarding external creative producers/talent
• Build off existing process of working with external talent focused content creators
• Being able to give top down direction to external talent focused content creators
• Ability to give creative direction through notes to external freelance producers
• Effectively communicate with Video Leadership to fulfil on programming needs horizontally across our brands and platforms.
• Working with social publishing, content analytics and business analysts to determine creative direction and goals.
• The Video Acquisitions Manager will work with Editorial Video Director to lead the charge on BuzzFeed's existing commission-based video models and should have a clear POV on:
• How we improve upon existing commission-based workflow
• How we create high volume of output while maintaining strong creative
• Being the department expert on commissioning external producers and helping us define the future of the commission model at BuzzFeed
• Lead brainstorms, mentor producers, and give effective and actionable creative notes and final approval on videos with team and stakeholders
• Responsible for the team's slate of ideas, including projected success, feasibility, and costs
• Observe viral trends on social platforms to make shareable and relatable content
• Schedule and run efficient check-ins and other meetings with the team
• Encourage new ideas and experimentation, and celebrate success
• Set measurable performance goals and timelines for each member of their team(s) that fit within the broader team and department goals
• Able to lead growth and direction of the team and take ownership of the ideas
• Follow up on the team's successes and actively work to help the team succeed, including developing one-off hits into series and/or repeatable formats
• 3-5 years of experience with video production with people management experience
• Understanding of the digital landscape and a proven interest in keeping up to date with developments in web platforms and applications
• Knowledge of the life and production cycle of online video
• Interest in newer or emerging platforms (ex: TikTok, Instagram)
• Deep understanding of how to make shareable content
• Experience giving creative notes and workshopping creative ideas as well as giving effective technical notes
• Ability to target video output for specific brands
• Ability to communicate and hire in effective freelance support
• Must have excellent communication skills
• Ability to handle multiple priorities
• Knowledge of Adobe and Google Suite a plus
• No formal cover letters, please. Instead, include a few short paragraphs in your application explaining why you'd be a good fit for this particular position and what excites you about BuzzFeed Video. We'd also like you to share 3-5 links to BuzzFeed videos published within the last year that you think did really well, and explain why..
• Attach a resume
This job requires 5-7 years experience in video production and management experience. We offer competitive compensation and a stock option program.
Life at BuzzFeed
At BuzzFeed, we believe our work benefits from the diverse perspectives of our employees. As such, BuzzFeed celebrates inclusion and is committed to equal opportunity employment. At BuzzFeed, you can expect:
• A supportive, inclusive atmosphere on a team that values your contributions
• Opportunities for personal and professional growth through work experience, offerings from our in-house Learning @ BuzzFeed team, our Employee Resource Groups, and more
• An attractive and equitable compensation package, including salary and stock options
A generous benefits program featuring PTO, unlimited sick time, comprehensive medical benefits, a family leave policy, access to mental health platforms, retirement plans, gym and wellness discounts, and much more.
BuzzFeed is the world's leading tech-powered media company, with a cross-platform news and entertainment network that reaches hundreds of millions of people globally. The company aims to spread truth and joy across the internet by producing articles, lists, quizzes, videos, original series; lifestyle content through brands including Tasty, the world's largest social food network; original reporting and investigative journalism through BuzzFeed News; strategic partnerships, licensing and product development through BuzzFeed Marketing; and original productions across broadcast, cable, SVOD, film and digital platforms for BuzzFeed Studios.
BuzzFeed is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, and will not be discriminated against based on age, race, gender, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, disability or any other protected category.