BuzzfeedNew York, NY
Full Time Job
Buzzfeed is looking for an attorney to join the team responsible for the daily management of our US commercial and service contracts. The attorney will draft, review, and negotiate on a wide variety of commercial agreements and contracts with emphasis in the media, digital media, advertising technology, and technology space, and will provide legal guidance to the ad sales, marketing and creative services organizations, as well as several other corporate services groups. The Attorney will be based in our New York office and report to BuzzFeed's General Counsel.
• Negotiate, draft and interpret various commercial agreements and other legal documents relating to advertising sales and integrations, sponsorship and promotional partnerships, event/venue arrangements, real estate, procurement, research and technology services (including master services agreements and statements of work).
• Review marketing materials and provide advice and counsel to various business units across the company regarding marketing, advertising, and other consumer regulatory issues.
• Provide legal services and advice as it relates to sweepstakes and contests, including preparing sweepstakes and contest rules, reviewing marketing copy and providing disclaimers and notice provisions.
• Coordinate with other legal team members regarding data privacy/security issues in various agreements.
• Develop positive working relationships with all business clients and other related personnel (e.g., advertisers, agencies, technology vendors) for the benefit of BuzzFeed.
• Interpret and provide advice to internal clients regarding BuzzFeed's rights, obligations, restrictions, and all other contractual provisions and financial aspects of our commercial contracts.
• Create NDAs, amendments, side letters, breach letters, termination agreements.
• Manage and monitor agreements negotiated by outside counsel and weigh in on business risks.
• Remain current on developments in the industry and technology to maintain efficiency in performance.
• Maintain visibility in the industry by networking with peers in similar positions at other companies and keeping up to date with industry changes.
• JD and active member of the NY State Bar, in good standing.
• 3 years of top law firm or large corporate department experience with media or digital media-related commercial transactions, including contract negotiations and drafting.
• Experience interpreting and explaining contractual terms, conditions, and legal principles to colleagues and customers and directly negotiate with suppliers and customers.
• Ability to make recommendations based on reasoned legal analysis and the strategic goals of the organization
• Comfort presenting and communicating, both written and verbally, to our internal teams and outside counsel
• Proficiency in Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook
• Must have the legal right to work in the United States.
Life at BuzzFeed
BuzzFeed strongly believes that the more diverse our team, the better our work will be. BuzzFeed is committed to equal opportunity employment and celebrates inclusion in all circumstances. As a BuzzFeed employee, you can expect:
• A supportive, inclusive atmosphere on a team that values your contributions
• Opportunities for growth and development via work experience and offerings from our in-house Learning Team
• Employee resource groups, frequent in-office events, volunteer opportunities, and more
• An attractive compensation package, including salary and equity
• A generous and well-rounded benefits program featuring PTO and unlimited sick time, comprehensive medical benefits, a family leave policy, access to mental health platforms, retirement plans, gym and wellness discounts, and much more
• No shortage of snacks, catered lunches, beverages, birthday treats... even leftovers from the Tasty kitchens in LA and NYC!
BuzzFeed is the leading independent digital media and tech company delivering news and entertainment content to a global audience. We have offices in 19 cities around the world and more than 1500 employees including reporters, video producers, data scientists, engineers, brand strategists, and more. We value a culture of experimentation, teamwork, equality, humble confidence, and hard work (fused with fun). At BuzzFeed, you'll work with inspiring colleagues to build tools and create content that helps connect people all over the world.