Celebrity Video Resident
BuzzfeedNew York, NY
Full Time Job
BuzzFeed Videos' Black culture and entertainment team Cocoa Butter is looking for a celebrity video resident with a deep knowledge of black internet culture and entertainment. You have years of experience shooting and editing videos, especially with celebrities and can easily adapt to the changing goals and nature of Cocoa Butter. This job requires working with producers and editors on videos in the entertainment world, as well as working with talent. You will be responsible for filming and editing these videos, as well as formatting them for different social channels. You should have quick turn around times on video edits. These videos can span across the pop culture sphere from videos about the daily happenings in the news to covering the latest rap beef to covering Beyoncé's latest internet digital drop, to interviews with actual celebrities. Our interviews with talent are lighthearted and fun - we'll often play games or try other outside-the-box ideas. Our interviews can also be serious depending on the particular talent we're filming with.
This is a full-time, 3-month temporary assignment based in our New York office with opportunity for extension, available to start immediately.
Our Cocoa Butter team consists of one video producer, and two video residents. You will report into Cocoa Butter's Content Lead. We're a fun team dedicated to creating bold and empowering content where people feel seen, heard and celebrated. Come join us!
• Film all videos with celebrity talent both in-studio and on-site at events.
• Edit videos for Facebook Instagram, and Twitter.
• Create new formats and ideas, constantly iterating and brainstorming fun content with talent in the black culture and entertainment space.
• Create a consistent, unique voice in videos that stand out on social media.
• Assist with last-minute shoots and packaging content for social channels.
• Tracking progress and looking at opportunities for growth.
• A deep understanding of Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and other social platforms
• Ability to run a full video shoot on your own (pre-pro, audio, lighting, directing etc.)
• Experience shooting videos in-studio and outdoor environments
• A proven history of publishing creative video work online (must show examples)
• A desire to make things that people love and share.
• MUST have high proficiency in Adobe Premiere
• A genuine, wide-eyed love of black culture and entertainment in all its forms
• Must have experience working with talent and shooting celebrity content
• Able to film in studio and remain professional and respectful of all celebrity talent.
• Ability to QUICKLY flip videos and keep up with content output
• An interest in viral content and understanding how/why it spreads
• Able to meet deadlines and stay organized
• A drive to make things that people love and share.
• Collaborative and open to feedback and working with teams.
• Must have great communication skills and give and receive critical feedback in a small team environment
• No formal cover letters, please. Instead, include a few short paragraphs in your application explaining why you'd be a good fit for this particular position. We'd also like you to share 2-3 BuzzFeed videos that performed well on our Cocoa Butter social platforms within the last year, and explain why you think they were successful.
• Attach a resume.
• Share 3-5 samples of videos you've produced and edited yourself that align with black culture and entertainment.
• Must provide links to your social media accounts or personal website.
Life at BuzzFeed
At BuzzFeed, we believe our work benefits from the diverse perspectives of our employees. As such, BuzzFeed celebrates inclusion and is committed to equal opportunity employment. As a BuzzFeed employee, you can expect:
• A supportive, inclusive atmosphere on a team that values your contributions
• Opportunities for personal and professional growth via work experience, offerings from our in-house Learning Team, Employee Resource Groups, and more
• An attractive compensation package, including salary and equity
• A generous and well-rounded benefits program featuring PTO and unlimited sick time, comprehensive medical benefits, a family leave policy, access to mental health platforms, retirement plans, gym and wellness discounts, and much more
• No shortage of snacks, catered lunches, beverages, birthday treats... even leftovers from the Tasty kitchens in LA and NYC!
BuzzFeed is the leading independent digital media and tech company, delivering news and entertainment content to a global audience. We value experimentation, teamwork, inclusion, humble confidence. At BuzzFeed, you'll work collaboratively with inspiring colleagues to create tools, technology, and content that helps connect people all over the world.