Assistant Legal Counsel, Intellectual Property
BuzzfeedNew York, NY
Full Time Job
This role will provide a full range of attorney functions relating to intellectual property rights administration, licensing, technology and policy development and reports directly to the Associate General Counsel. You know, and can evaluate, all matters in a way that balances needs and mitigates risk while achieving the business end-goal. You will be a trusted and knowledgeable point of contact for business leaders, and will maintain BuzzFeed's form and policy in agreements.
• Serve as the lead counsel advising all internal clients on all matters of intellectual property including rights, licensing and policy development
• Review, negotiate and draft a broad range of agreements relating to protection of BuzzFeed's intellectual property
• Manage and advise on BuzzFeed's patent and trademark portfolio and other IP matters, including open source
• Collaborate with other members of the legal department to support BuzzFeed's general corporate legal activities, including providing support for mergers, acquisitions, joint ventures, partnerships, equity investments and other sophisticated transactions
• 7 years of legal experience (preferably with in-house experience) including:
• management of U.S. and international trademark portfolios with specific experience in trademark clearance, prosecution, investigations, and routine enforcement
• copyright/trademark licensing, IP rights administration or entertainment law practice, including some or all of the following: merchandising, digital media, television, film
• Comprehensive knowledge of contract law and Intellectual Property rights, as well as a mastered capability for legal research and reasoning.
• Ability to provide hands-on direction and input to outside counsel, and to draft/review a wide variety of work product.
• Ability to contribute to global intellectual property strategy as needed with a focus on agreement of the trademark portfolio, copyright protection and content licensing strategy with Buzzfeed's needs, priorities and resources.
• Experience with intellectual property due diligence, technology assessments, and analysis in potential strategic transactions (including M&A, licensing and financing), as well as utilization of outside counsel in the same is a significant plus.
• Ability to counsel all levels of the organization on Intellectual Property matters and complex problems.
• Collaborate with in-house and outside counsel on Intellectual Property-related proceedings, challenges, disputes and litigation
• Experience drafting and negotiating complex commercial agreements, including licensing agreements, partnership agreements, etc.
• Understanding of and experience with content licensing, digital media and intellectual property law
• Experience managing a high-volume workload while operating autonomously within corporate parameters and deadlines.
• J.D. from an ABA accredited law school, and a valid license to practice law in New York State.
• Proficiency with: MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook) and Internet research.
• English fluency is required.
Life at BuzzFeed
BuzzFeed strongly believes that the more diverse our team, the better our work will be. BuzzFeed is committed to equal opportunity employment and celebrates inclusion in all circumstances. As a BuzzFeed employee, you can expect:
• A supportive, inclusive atmosphere on a team that values your contributions
• Opportunities for growth and development via work experience and offerings from our in-house Learning Team
• Employee resource groups, frequent in-office events, volunteer opportunities, and more
• An attractive compensation package, including salary and equity
• A generous and well-rounded benefits program featuring PTO and unlimited sick time, comprehensive medical benefits, a family leave policy, access to mental health platforms, retirement plans, gym and wellness discounts, and much more
• No shortage of snacks, catered lunches, beverages, birthday treats... even leftovers from the Tasty kitchens in LA and NYC!
BuzzFeed is the leading independent digital media and tech company delivering news and entertainment content to a global audience. We have offices in 19 cities around the world and more than 1500 employees including reporters, video producers, data scientists, engineers, brand strategists, and more. We value a culture of experimentation, teamwork, equality, humble confidence, and hard work (fused with fun). At BuzzFeed, you'll work with inspiring colleagues to build tools and create content that helps connect people all over the world.