Senior Director, Creative
Full Time Job
Senior Director, Creative
This role brings value to BMI by…
• Networking with Austin’s music industry infrastructure (songwriters, artists, publishers, managers, labels, publicists, club owners, promoters, attorneys, city and state government), and the Texas music industry at large, to build community, providing assistance as appropriate, and promote BMI’s brand.
• Sustaining and expanding BMI’s presence in Austin; building on existing activities and identifying new opportunities to enhance our brand and service to affiliates (i.e., SXSW, ACL Festival, Texas Heritage Songwriter Association).
• Leading the recruitment of new songwriters and music publishers who have the potential to become the creators and owners of the world's most popular music.
• Leading negotiations with writers and publishers to continue their affiliation and manage requests.
• Attending music industry events as a BMI representative to maintain BMI’s profile and increase contacts.
• Creating, organizing and presenting programs and showcases to industry and community groups regarding BMI in Austin and other Texas cities; collaborating with, and engaging BMI senior executives as appropriate.
• Managing expenses and investments.
• Identifying partners to sponsor events.
• Monitoring new trends in music and new business developments, identifying and analyzing the effects on BMI, its repertoire and its affiliates, and initiating new tactics to respond to these changes timely.
• Assessing BMI's competitive pressures and how they impact BMI writers and publishers.
• Leading the growth of a department team member.
This role needs someone who has the following education, experience and abilities.
• A bachelor’s degree in a related field, or equivalent work experience
• At least five years’ music-related experience and 10 years is preferred
• At least three years’ experience interfacing with publishers, booking agents, songwriters, talent management and/or label experience is preferred
• Experience and involvement with local/national music organizations and/or serving on music-industry Boards
• Able to travel up to 20% of the time and primarily local within the greater Austin area
• Critical relationship abilities, such as:
• Excellent interpersonal abilities demonstrated by executive presence, diplomacy & tact, relating to diverse groups, strong collaborative skills and sensitivities to varied interests
• Excellent verbal and written communication abilities demonstrated by persuasion and influence skills, participating in panels and speaking engagements, strong listening skills and able to synthesize various views while articulating common goals and interests
• Critical creative abilities, such as:
• The ability to analyze songs and music for commercial success
• A working knowledge of the song and music process from conception to hit status
• A working knowledge and/or membership in key music industry trade and professional organizations
• Critical management abilities, such as:
• Working with and maintaining database systems, and generating reports and spreadsheets
• The ability to work independently and exercise good judgment
• General knowledge of licensing; the flow and distribution of music income
We are Broadcast Music, Inc. (BMI), a global leader in performance rights management, serving as an advocate for the value of music. BMI represents the public performance rights in nearly 14 million musical works created and owned by more than 900,000 songwriters, composers and publishers. The Company negotiates music license agreements and distributes the fees it generates as royalties to its affiliated writers and publishers when their songs are performed in public. are guided by our core values of integrity, dedication, inclusion & respect, accountability & team work, adaptability & courage and effective communication.
BMI has an exciting opportunity for a Senior Director on the Creative team to launch a new office in Austin, Tx. The new office, expected to open in early 2019, will allow BMI to work directly with the talented songwriters, composers, publishers and emerging songwriter/artists in the thriving Austin music community and help enhance their ability to earn a living by writing music. The BMI office is being opened with the support of Governor Abbott and the Texas Music Office.