Director, Media Relations
BMILos Angeles, CA
Full Time Job
Serve as the lead communications executive for BMI’s Los Angeles office, responsible for developing and executing proactive communications strategies for BMI’s Latin and Film, Television and Visual Media departments. This role also provides communications support for the Pop/Indie and R&B Hip Hop teams as needed. The Director of Media Relations will work closely with senior executives based in LA, including the Senior Vice President of Creative, Vice President of Creative, Latin and Vice President of Creative, Film, TV & Visual Media. S/he will also collaborate closely with the broader Corporate Communications and Marketing department and will report to the Executive Director of Corporate Communications based in BMI’s New York office.
FUNCTIONS OF THE JOB
• Develop and implement strategic media plans to support the work and successes of BMI’s Los Angeles office with specific attention to the Latin and Film, TV & Visual Media departments.
• Work closely with the Senior Vice President, Creative and the Vice Presidents of the Latin and Film, TV & Visual Media departments to create trending story angles to achieve the company’s objectives and promote the events that come out of the Los Angeles office. This includes events in cities that fall within that office’s territory such as showcases, parties, dinners, panels, seminars, workshops and other special events.
• Proactively pitch BMI’s executive leaders, including the Senior Vice President, Creative and the Vice Presidents from the Latin and Film, TV & Visual Media departments, as thought leaders and experts in their fields.
• Lead the media campaigns for the Latin Awards and Film, TV &Visual Media Awards, as well as help with the Pop and Urban awards, and other BMI events as needed.
• Draft press materials including but not limited to pitch letters, company news announcements, executive announcements, media alerts and press releases.
• Cultivate and manage relationships with the key members of the media including but not limited to reporters, editors, producers, bloggers, and other influencers. Identify and foster relationships with new media partners to expand coverage.
• Collaborate closely with BMI’s Corporate Communications & Marketing department to help support the LA office and its activities, as well as helping to support broader company-wide efforts. This includes working with the following teams on various efforts including:
• BMI’s Media Relations team on updating and growing media databases in all genres and regions.
• The Content team on written materials and videos for BMI.com, Music World and BMI’s The Weekly newsletter that support the LA office’s events and its Creative teams.
• The Design team on materials such as step & repeats and flyers for BMI events that come out of the Los Angeles office.
• BMI’s Social Media Manager, assisting as needed with social media efforts to support the LA office, its executives and events.
• Attend and assist at BMI functions including showcases, screenings, workshops and as directed by the Senior Vice President/Vice President/Executive Director.
• Negotiate and budget for services by outside vendors for Los Angeles events.
• Regular attendance.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Supports our BMI Core Values and cultivates a culture of diversity and inclusion.
• This job will require the supervision of the Part Time Media Relations Assistant.
• Bachelor’s degree from four-year University or College.
• Agency experience is preferred with a minimum 5-8 years of relevant experience as an executive or account executive in public relations or media relations.
• Fluent in Spanish– verbal and written
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Expert in national and regional print, online and broadcast media outlets that cover Latin, Pop, Urban and Film & TV
• Highly proficient multi-tasking professional with exceptional creative and execution skills
• Ability to prioritize multiple assignments and meet deadlines
• Able to establish constructive and informative relationships with BMI affiliates, employees, management and vendors
• Able to interact professionally with a diverse employee population and with all levels of staff and management including BMI’s senior leaders
• Should be a self-starter with the ability to work independently and with good judgement
• Attention to detail
• Experience working with and maintaining database systems and reports, as well as word processing and spreadsheets
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office
• Strong typing, proofreading and editing skills