Full Time Job
POSITION SUMMARY: This individual, in conjunction with other attorneys in the department, performs many of the functions undertaken by the Legal Department on a regular basis. Responsibilities performed by this individual, include those performed by other Legal Department attorneys are: prosecution of copyright infringement actions throughout the U.S. (including supervising outside counsel); prosecution of collection arbitrations and obtaining and enforcing judgements throughout the country (including supervising outside counsel); management of matters involving estates and heirs of deceased songwriters and composers; resolution of disputes involving or between songwriters, composers and publishers; the position may also involve providing advice and comment on and/or drafting contracts the company enters into with third-party vendors; providing advice and counsel to other departments including Licensing on copyright, contract and other legal issues.
FUNCTIONS OF THE JOB
• Prosecute and manage numerous copyright infringement actions throughout the U.S., including drafting motion and discovery papers, negotiating settlements, reviewing song ownership documentation, attending settlement conferences and supervising outside counsel.
• Prosecute and manage numerous collection arbitrations involving BMI licensed radio and TV stations, including supervising collection attorneys throughout the U.S. and negotiating settlements.
• Manage estate files so as to effect an orderly transition from the deceased affiliate to his/her successor.
• Provide advice on and/or draft contracts between BMI and outside vendors.
• Interact with other BMI attorneys and BMI management with respect to the above responsibilities.
• Assist other attorneys in the Legal Department on specific projects when necessary.
• Supports our BMI Values and cultivates a culture of diversity and inclusion.
• Regular attendance.
• Other duties as assigned.
POSITION QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS
4-year college degree and Juris Doctor degree from an accredited law school required. In addition, fulfilling all relevant continuing legal education requirements is also required.
Experience: Minimum 3-5 years legal experience, at least a portion of which should be in private practice in a law firm. Should have a background in litigation, including researching and drafting of briefs and memoranda and motion practice. Prior knowledge of copyright law and/or music industry or broadcasting experience is highly recommended.
and Abilities: This may be representative but not all inclusive of those commonly associated with this position.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Ability to analyze business problems from a legal and practical perspective
• Ability to manage many projects at once and to prioritize them
• Ability to negotiate authoritatively and persuasively
• Ability to work cooperatively with other company executives in different areas
• Proficiency in MS Office
License(s)/Certifications Required: Admission to the New York or Tennessee State bar and license to practice in federal courts and Middle District of Tennessee is required.