Vice President, Corporate Communications - BET
BETNew York, NY
Full Time Job
The BET Networks Corporate Communications Vice President position will develop Corporate Communications programs that shape awareness, attitudes and perceptions for BETN and its employees, consumer press, trade media, advertisers, industry executives and Viacom Corporate/Viacom Brand partners. The person in this position will implement corporate communications strategies along side the EVP, including external consumer and trade industry media pitching and outreach. Work on issues management, internal/external events and internal communications efforts, along with the support of corporate responsibility initiatives. This position will report to the Executive Vice President of Communications and Public Affairs.
• Develop relationships with BET Networks executives to create and execute internal and external communications strategies that express the company’s vision, values and thought leadership
• Develop relationships with internal and external stakeholders including media (TV, print, online, blogs), employees (in other BETN departments and Viacom), outside industry organizations, and influencers
• Oversee the Pitch process and placing stories on the BET Networks brand, executives, shows, specials and initiatives
• Oversee and develop process around press releases, talking points, scripts, Q&As, briefing documents, fact sheets and other press and company materials
• Support the Office of the President through implementation of strategic press initiatives and supporting internal and external events and activities
• Help manager and support company’s overall corporate initiatives (e.g. attending events/activities and working with Event Planning and Corporate Relations, Ad Sales, News, Digital and/or Marketing teams)
• Develop strategy for Identifying key speaking opportunities for executives and manage speaking engagements, sponsorship opportunities and participation in industry conferences
• Partner with Viacom’s communications team and leverage internal channels to share BETN stories (e.g. Viacom blog)
• Develop internal communications (e.g. memos, announcements, boilerplates, executive bios) oversee and assist in managing employee events (e.g. Corporate Town Hall, executive presentations)
• Identify potential (crisis) communication problem areas and recommend viable best practice solutions
• Run weekly meetings and update key stakeholders on progress of projects
• Must have high level press relationships and contacts in top tier media and business trades.
• Experienced Director and above with 1 2 years of professional experience in Corporate C ommunications/public relations in media/ TV E ntertainment managing internal communications, internal press, securing thought leadership opportunities, executive communication, proven experience pitching and placing stories for big corporations , executives, etc.
• Experience in the Digital, TV space is critical !
• Strong rolodex of media relationships & contacts
• Proven experience managing others and processes.
• Proven success in an executive PR/Communications function as evidenced by tangible results.
BA/BS in English, Communications, Journalism or other liberal arts degre e
• Top notch writing skills are imperative.
• Proven Attention to detail and strong organizational skills
• Proven ability to set priorities, meet deadlines, solve problems and think strategically
• Demonstrated ability to take initiative, work independently, and play well on a team
• Demonstrated ability to make and maintain relationships across a large organization
• Highly developed PowerPoint skills are key
• Must have strong writing ability, as well as flexibility in style to handle a variety of writing assignments
• Expertise in Microsoft Office
Writing Samples are required along with a writing test/assignment for all final candidates*