Intern - Publicity & Music Promo
Behind the Curtains MediaBrooklyn, NY
Part Time Unpaid Internship
Independent music publicity company in Brooklyn, NY is looking for a music loving individual interested in the world of music publicity and promotion! You'll be assisting with day to day tasks of media research, database management, learning how to compile EPK and press materials for our campaigns, and basic pitching.
We have had a strong success rate with our clients because we value quality and passion above all else - we want to see those qualities in our interns too! Most of the artists we promote fall into the indie, alternative rock, folk, singer-songwriter, and indie-pop genres (though we work/consider all genres!). An interest in these genres is an absolute requirement.
You'll get an inside scoop of music publicity and promotion as you assist with various campaigns and tasks. You'll have the chance to sit in on client meetings / phone calls, and assist with campaigns from start to finish. Our office/studio is in a creative environment (building is shared with other creatives/music artists), and we have lots of opportunity for us to cater to your strengths/interests while getting insight into many areas of the industry. Preference given to Communication, Music Business, or Business majors, but open to all applicants; preference also given to juniors/seniors, but younger students welcome to apply.
There is no mail room or coffee runs on your list of duties here - we're a small, tight-knit team who pitch in as needed to get projects done. We also have a full recording studio en suite; potential to assist with research or video editing on occasion.
Tasks & responsibilities may include:
- Database updating & management, media research, and outreach [attention to detail & basic spreadsheet skills a must]
- Assist with drafting artist press pages, EPKs, and e-mail campaigns [Wordpress, Mailchimp - experience a plus, but not required]
- Outreach to independent Spotify curators and logging of submissions
- Potential to follow-up on radio submissions and assist in securing radio airplay and potential chart support. You should be comfortable with picking up the phone once in a while!
- Assist with compiling campaign reports, press clipping
- Ensuring public copies of press releases are added to website in a timely manner
- [Optional] Joining us for various shows in the city for networking and supporting our clients
- Ideally you're interested in seeking a career in the music industry
- Basic computing skills and familiarity with Word, Excel, Google Doc/Sheets, Dropbox. WordPress and Mailchimp a plus.
- Excellent communication skills
- Strong writing, editing, and proofreading skills
- Time management, attention to detail, and organization skills
- Good awareness and interest in music blogs/magazines/outlets
- Passion for new music and up and coming artists
- Light graphic design experience / an eye for design is a plus
Please note, you MUST have your own laptop (Mac preferred), cell phone, and should be available 2-3 days a week for a minimum of 4-6 hours per day in office (office hours are 9-6pm EST). We have flexibility in determining exact hours if you're a good fit. While we may have occasions where we can allow you to work remotely, this is NOT a remote position. Preference given to NYC-metro area locals.
We have flexibility for start/end dates and duration of the internship; ideally at least three months. Travel stipend possible, commission referrals possible; both to be discussed. Happy to work with you to fulfill college credit requirements. Perks include occasional lunch, and potential for free tickets to NYC based shows from artists that we work with and/or shows we co-host.
Unpaid, for credit.
Behind the Curtains Media is located at 234 6th St. Suite #5 in Park Slope, Brooklyn; easily accessible via the R, F and G trains. We will give preference to NYC metro area locals.
- A few of your favorite music blogs
- At least 1 writing sample (this can be a school paper, blog article, etc. not required to be music oriented - please submit 1-3 pieces)
- When you are looking to start
Thank you for your interest. We look forward to hearing from you! Via email:
Please note that EntertainmentCareers.Net uses 'disposable' email addresses in our postings. They change frequently so do not post the contact information outside of EntertainmentCareers.Net as it will likely be invalid.
Employer will allow resumes sent in the body of the email OR as an attachment. Apply Online