Entertainment Legal Administrative Assistant
Barnes & Thornburg, LLPLos Angeles, CA
Full Time Job
B&T's Century City office seeks an Entertainment/Corporate LAA to add to its rapidly growing practice. Candidate must have some law firm experience, with an interest in music entertainment.
To be considered please have:
-Strong redlining skills
-Some experience processing, proofing and reviewing bills
-Strong communication skills
-Ability to multi-task on a busy desk and coordinating lots of phone calls
-Experience interacting with diverse group of clients
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Operates a computer, word processor and typewriter; transcribes dictation as needed.
2. Prepares correspondence, memoranda and other legal documents from written and oral drafts; drafts standard correspondence, and other documents.
3. Screens telephone calls and records messages.
4. Reads, sorts and dates incoming mail. Ensures that outgoing mail is timely delivered. If necessary, routes mail to specific delivery service and follows up on timely delivery.
5. Establishes and maintains calendar and deadline reminder systems; utilizes master calendar system.
6. Opens new files, requests conflict of interest checks with file room records, and maintains all client and general files. Conducts periodic review for possible storage of older files; prepares files to be closed.
7. Receives clients and visitors; maintains good public relations with clients; observes confidentiality of attorney-client relationship.
8. Makes appointments for attorney(s).
9. Processes bills; proofs billing sheets; reviews and edits bills.
10. Works closely with administrative support staff (word processing, reprographics, receptionists, etc.); proofs documents returned from word
processing; ensures that attorney time sheets are provided to appropriate person in a timely manner.
11. Performs legal assistant duties as requested.
12. Performs overload typing, filing, photocopying, or reception relief as time permits and as request by other attorneys, the Human Resource Director
or the Administrator.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
1. Ability to read and write in order to proof and perform minor editing (e.g., punctuation, grammar, spelling) of routine law office correspondence and
legal case matters. Perform non-complex arithmetic calculations when verifying calculations on forms and documents; maintain records and filing systems at a level normally acquired through completion of high school or equivalent.
2. Approximately one to two years on the job experience necessary in order to gain an understanding of law office policies and procedures and
produce accurate legal documents with minimal supervision.
3. Ability to transcribe legal documents, correspondence and reports from rough draft or dictation at a level of 70 wpm.
4. Ability to organize and prioritize numerous tasks and complete them under time constraints.
5. Ability to proofread typed material for grammatical, typographical or spelling errors.
6. Interpersonal skills necessary in order to communicate and follow instructions effectively from a diverse group of clients, attorneys and staff to provide information with ordinary courtesy and tact.
7. Interpersonal skills necessary in order to communicate in person, by email and telephone to provide information with ordinary courtesy and tact.
8. Work occasionally requires a high level of mental effort and strain while producing a high volume of information performing other essential duties.
9. Work occasionally requires more than 40 hours per week to perform the essential duties of the position; may require irregular hours.