Full Stack Web Developer
Baltimore OriolesBaltimore, MD
Full Time Job
Reports To: Assistant General Manager, Analytics
This position is primarily responsible for the development and operation of an online unified player management and scouting system. Works closely with the Baseball Operations staff to define, develop, and implement a system that will support the Orioles' player evaluation, selection and development efforts. The system will integrate multiple sources of information and video, both internal and external to the organization, into a single, centralized view of ballplayers. The incumbent is responsible for the full life-cycle of the player management and scouting system.
• Works with Assistant General Manager, Analytics and other senior Baseball Operations staff to develop project plans for developing and implementing a player management system. With limited supervision, follows plan and monitors and reports progress.
• Gathers, verifies, and documents user requirements for web-based player management system. Understands and analyzes the business process and required outcomes of the system and creates documents defining the business use cases.
• Develops and modifies player management website. Makes use of industry best practices and recommended coding standards to write clear, readable, and efficient code.
• Identifies and recommends potential features to be incorporated into the player management system.
• Designs and develops procedures to calculate advanced player statistics and manage player evaluations, rankings, and other information contained in the system. Designs and develops graphical and tabular layouts of the information according to the needs of the Baseball Operations staff.
• Builds out interactive tools and visualizations to aid our evaluation of players' defensive abilities and better inform our Major League defensive positioning.
• Coordinates with video and data providers to integrate systems and information into the unified player management system. Designs and develops routines to integrate external data into the underlying data architecture.
• Employs an iterative software development approach to ensure quick roll-out along with incremental improvements to developed player management system over time.
• Develops and oversees system acceptance testing for all newly developed components of the player management system. Designs and sets up test scenarios. Reviews test results and validates that software capabilities meet business needs.
• Provides ongoing support of player management system, including training all player management system users. Troubleshoots and corrects defects found in the system. Upgrades system as necessary to take advantage of new technology and meet dynamic business goals.
• Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, or equivalent.
• Experience developing enterprise level applications that interface with SQL Server or similar database architecture and expert level SQL skills.
• Experience implementing graphical representation of statistical trends.
• Experience using HTML and CSS.
• Experience leading all aspects of the software development lifecycle, including requirements definition, design, development, testing, and implementation.
• Experience integrating multiple data sources, formats, and media into a single business application.
• Demonstrated ability to work with users to understand business processes, document system requirements, and develop applications that meet business objectives.
• Willingness to work non-traditional hours (various nights, weekends, holidays).
• Previous experience developing, implementing, and employing structured web development techniques.
• Experience working with Django framework and jQuery library preferred.
• Experience with additional programming languages (such as Java, Ruby, or C) preferred.
The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the employee in this position. The duties listed do not represent an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of a person in this position.
Equal Opportunity Statement:
The Baltimore Orioles Are an Equal Opportunity Employer. It is the policy of the Baltimore Orioles to ensure equal employment opportunity without discrimination or harassment on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion or creed, sex, age, disability, citizenship status, marital status, genetic predisposition or carrier status, sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by law.
• How did you hear about this job?
Apply with MVP Access
Want to improve your application?