Associate Producer, Development, Apm Studios
American Public Media GroupSaint Paul, MN
Full Time Job
Who We Are:
The mission of American Public Media Group (APMG) is to enrich the mind and nourish the spirit, thereby enhancing the lives and expanding the perspectives of our audiences and assisting them in strengthening their communities. We aspire to be the leader in creating trusted and meaningful listening experiences with and for curious people, and we seek to create a diverse, inclusive culture focused on growth and outcomes to serve our audiences.
APMG's primary operating divisions Minnesota Public Radio, Southern California Public Radio and American Public Media offer multi-regional FM broadcast channels, website, mobile and social media channels, live events, national content creation and distribution. Together, these divisions operate 49 public radio stations and 42 translators serving regional audiences in eight states from Minnesota, Michigan and the Upper Midwest to Idaho and California; distribute a portfolio of more than twenty national programs reaching nearly 20MM listeners weekly through 1,000 radio stations; serve rapidly growing audiences on digital, social and mobile platforms; and produce an increasing and diverse array of podcasts featuring the best in food, culture, entertainment, mental health, water, early brain development, business and investigative journalism.
OK, be honest. How many podcasts have you listened to this week? If the answer is “I don’t know - I’ve lost count” then we’d like to hear from you!
APM Studios is growing fast, as we build our portfolio with shows that serve children, young and diverse audiences and anyone who’s interested in the power of audio and storytelling to help us live, learn, and understand the world around us.
We’re lucky – we already have a roster of shows that provide all the above, but we want to offer our audiences more. So, we’re building our development team – the beginning of our podcast-making process. Our Development Associate Producer will help us reach out to talented creators from the audio world and beyond, source some of the most interesting shows for our audience, vet pitches and play a role in bringing ideas to life.
At Studios we’re looking for people who enjoy podcasts, understand story, listen across genres, and have an instinct for what listeners might like. You understand that it’s not just about making shows for your own ears, but stories that play a role in the lives of our listeners.
You’ll manage correspondence with agents, plan outreach to talent, help develop show pilots and be a key member in moving shows from pilot, through creation to regular series. You’ll also think about content beyond audio; assessing how a show might connect with listeners on social platforms, video treatments, newsletters or other community gathering places.
APM Studios is a collaborative creative space - we want to help people make good ideas that are meaningful, funny, thought-provoking, joyful, and developed with high production values and ethics. Sound interesting? Apply!
Compensation Range: St. Paul - $20.19 - $30.29/per hour| New York - $24.24 - $36.37/per hour | Los Angeles - $23.25 - $34.87/per hour. Exact salary determined by experience and education related to the role, organizational compensation structure, geographic location, and internal equity.
Location: Remote USA
Application Deadline: Open until position is filled.
• Track and manage outreach and correspondence to new talent and agencies
• Research shows within categories of interest for APM Studios
• Book meetings and maintain meeting notes
• Assess pitches and audio samples
• With Development team leadership, provide production support to some podcast pilots, to include interview/tracking schedules, basic editing, script writing, show transcription and collecting feedback on pilots
• Maintain communication with Sr. Podcast Production Manager on pilot and acquisition progress and production schedules
• Be a point of contact for sales and marketing: new show trailers and sales samples
• Work on collaborations with other shows or brands to produce original content
• Collaborate with managers and other divisions in support of the podcast.
• Other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience:
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience.
• 3 years of writing, production, or other creative experience
, Knowledge and Abilities:
• A storyteller with experience working in a creative medium
• Experience in audio or video production and digital editing
• Experience in writing for radio, podcasts, video, or another written platform
• Experience in content assessment
• Strong teamwork and collaboration skill
• Demonstrated strong organizational and communication skills
• An understanding of different podcast genres and formats
• Resourcefulness and ability to solve problems and take initiative
• Ability to work effectively with minimal supervision.
• Possess solid story-telling ability
• Ability to think big and create memorable audio
• Ability to manage myriad daily details of production
• Ability to be flexible and multitask on different projects under deadline pressure and to work collaboratively with other staff
• Proven ability to contribute to a positive, diverse, creative, high-performance culture
• Sound engineering and audio edit skills using Pro Tools
• Experience producing video, esp. for YouTube and digital distribution platforms
Reporting to this Position: None
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
• Must be able to perform the essential duties of the position with or without reasonable accommodation.
• Ability to manage some work outside of standard office hours as needed.
• Physical Demands:
• Required to move about in an office environment and sit for extended periods of time
• Required to move about in the community
• Frequent use of hands for data entry/keystrokes and simple grasping
• Working Conditions:
• Moderate noise level
• Occassional exposure to prevelant weather conditions
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We are committed to hiring a breadth of diverse professionals and encourage members of diverse groups to apply.