Director, Production and Operations, AFI Festivals
American Film InstituteLos Angeles, CA
Full Time Job
LOCATION: Los Angeles Campus and Washington, DC
The Director, Production and Operations is responsible for overseeing the planning and execution of AFI DOCS (held annually in June in Washington, DC and Silver Spring, MD) and AFI FEST (held annually in November in Los Angeles, CA). The Director, Production and Operations oversees the Festival Production teams, and serves as the primary point of contact for AFI staff regarding the festivals' operations and production.
• In partnership with the Director, AFI Festivals, plan and execute AFI FEST, AFI DOCS and other program activities.
• Manage all aspects of production and operations for AFI FEST, AFI DOCS and other program-related activities, collaborating with AFI Shared Services teams to successfully execute and meet program targets and objectives.
• Act as the primary contact for and ensure productive and positive relationships with festival theaters, hotels and event spaces.
• Establish and maintain relationships with key contacts that can advance the operation and execution of AFI FEST and AFI DOCS.
• Oversee and work with the AFI Finance team to ensure the festivals and their year-round programming meet budget goals.
• Working in collaboration with AFI Human Resources, direct the hiring process for all program staff and contractors.
• Manage temporary staff for AFI DOCS and AFI FEST.
• Ensure all permanent and temporary staff receive all appropriate training, updated policy and procedure manuals and guides, and other information relevant to and required for successful execution of their duties.
• Ensure that all program staff understand and adhere to AFI policies, procedures and practices.
• Develop and manage systems and procedures to ensure a productive, supportive and respectful work environment, and effective staff communication tools and practices.
• Schedule and facilitate regular staff meetings for both permanent and temporary staff.
• Manage the office/desk set-up, duties/responsibilities and end-of-work wrap processes of the AFI FEST and AFI DOCS Operations and Production teams.
• Develop, update and maintain department and event procedures and policies.
• Organize and maintain files of all permanent and temporary staff reports, and policies and procedure guides for each festival.
• Prepare proposals for new or proposed festival and program-related events to assist in the decision-making process, including event goals, potential benefits and risks, budget estimates, and critical input from AFI Shared Services teams.
• Develop and negotiate compelling and accurate RFPs to ensure effective vendor selection.
• Manage productive and positive relationships with all festival venues, hired vendors, consultants and contractors.
• Ensure all festival contracts and relationships meet AFI standards and practices as well as all local and national laws and regulations (e.g. liquor licensing, insurance, etc.).
• Collaborate with the AFI Special Event Director and AFI Talent Director on VIP talent coordination for screenings and events.
• Collaborate with the Director, AFI Festivals, Theater Operations Director and AFI Special Events team on festival red carpet event production and security team management.
• Collaborate with the AFI Advancement team on the logistics and implementation of sponsorship activation at AFI DOCS, AFI FEST and other program-related events; tracking and fulfilling event-related activations and benefits for AFI's major sponsors.
• Collaborate with the AFI FEST Production Manager, AFI FEST Technical Director, AFI FEST Operations Coordinator and AFI DOCS Festival Production Director to secure in-kind vendor, venue, equipment, food and product sponsorships for the festival.
• Draft and process all venue, contractor and in-kind sponsorship contracts for AFI FEST and AFI DOCS, with understanding that such agreements will be reviewed by the Director, AFI Festivals and executed by the AFI Chief Operating Officer (COO).
• Collaborate with the AFI Advancement team and AFI FEST and AFI DOCS Marketing and Publicity teams in the collection of festival impressions generated from on-site signage and festival department communications.
• In collaboration with AFI Marketing and Communications and Creative Services teams, oversee and manage the creation, publication and deployment of content for the festivals and program-related events (website, program guides and schedules, apps, invitations and other materials as needed) ensuring consistency and timeliness.
• Develop and maintain systems to track, collect and analyze data from the festivals and program-related events including capacity, attendance, ticket and pass sales, pass usage and comp ticket distribution and usage.
• Ensure that program staff have the tools and support to utilize program data and data analysis in the successful execution of their respective duties.
• Develop and manage regular collection of feedback from festival attendees and other constituents and ensure that feedback and accompanying data is integrated into program planning.
• In collaboration with Director, AFI Festivals, develop and execute an ongoing, long-term strategic planning process for the festivals and program-related events.
• Bachelor's degree required.
• Minimum five years experience in special events production.
• Experience in non-profit event production preferred.
• Minimum four years experience in related entertainment field preferred.
• Proven success producing and managing large scale, high profile events. Experience working with major Hollywood studios and/or event companies that produce large-scale entertainment or trade-show events.
• Experience working with a hotel, convention center or a multipurpose venue/facility for event production.
• Proven experience managing and reconciling the budget for a festival, film and/or event the size and scale of AFI DOCS and AFI FEST.
• Demonstrated experience drafting and negotiating contracts.
• Experience supervising physical production and managing production teams.
• Comfortable successfully negotiating with third party vendors.
• Experience drafting in-kind sponsorship proposals and negotiating barter deals.
• Superior database management and computer skills, with expertise in Microsoft OS and FileMaker Pro.
• Exceptionally detail-oriented with the proven ability to handle numerous tasks with appropriate follow-up and reporting activities while not losing sight of the big picture.
• Can work independently while being an integral member of a high-functioning team.
• Proven project management skills with the ability to take a project from conception through completion with minimal supervision.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills with the ability to convey complex concepts and procedures in simplistic terms.
• Strong leadership, time management, organizational and multi-tasking skills coupled with the ability to work independently and with minimal supervision.
• Strong diplomacy skills and professionalism are mandatory; this includes the ability to maintain complete confidentiality and discretion at all times.
• Possess a positive and professional attitude with the ability to work as a member of a high-energy, results oriented team.
• Ability to work calmly under tight deadlines and pressure.
• Personal integrity with the ability to inspire confidence and trust.
• Must be able to work some evenings and weekends and be available by personal cell phone during non-office hours for time sensitive, business-related communications, particularly during the three months leading up to each festival, and during the run of and immediately following each festival.
Please note that EntertainmentCareers.Net uses 'disposable' email addresses in our postings. They change frequently so do not post the contact information outside of EntertainmentCareers.Net as it will likely be invalid.
Employer will only allow resumes sent as an attachment.
Do not send in the body of the email. Apply Online