Corporate Counsel, Studios
Amazon StudiosSanta Monica, CA
Full Time Job
Amazon Studios is seeking Corporate Counsels to join the TV and Movies groups, handling development and production legal affairs.
These attorneys will be responsible for all production legal matters for Amazon's non-scripted and scripted television programming or theatrical feature films.
• Structuring, drafting, and negotiating production services and above-the-line talent agreements for actors, writers, producers, and directors
• Structuring productions to maximize production incentives
• Vetting scripts and cuts for copyright, trademark and defamation issues
• Overseeing production counsel and advising on day-to-day production issues (including music, guild, clearance, and S&P)
• Partnering with Amazon's creative and production teams and directly engaging with talent and directors
• Analyzing and interpreting contracts and providing thoughtful legal advice on potential risks and issues in a wide range of legal areas, including intellectual property, guild issues, and content regulations
Development attorneys will manage development legal affairs for Amazon's scripted television programming or original movies. These roles will work closely with Amazon Studios' TV and movies business teams, including creative development, business affairs, production, marketing, and publicity.
• Structuring, drafting, and negotiating film acquisition, rights option, acquisition, writer, producer, director, talent, production services, and co-production agreements
• Evaluating rights issues and confirming chain of title,
• Analyzing and interpreting contracts and providing thoughtful legal advice to clients on potential risks and issues involving intellectual property, digital media, and regulatory compliance matters
• 5 years of legal experience (with at least two years at a law firm)
• Experience handling production or development legal affairs work in either TV or movies
• Juris Doctor and membership in good standing in at least one state bar is required
• A mix of law firm and in-house experience
• Ability to demonstrate sound judgment even in ambiguous situations
• Ability to work independently while being able to contribute successfully to cross-functional teams
• Excellent organizational skills; ability to manage multiple projects at once, follow through and meet deadlines
• Strong written and oral communication skills
• Strong analytical and computer skills
• Common sense, great judgment, and a good sense of humor
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation.