Exec Dirintegrated Content Strategy & Business Development, ABC News
ABCNew York, NY
Full Time Job
ABC News is hiring an Executive Director Integrated Content Strategy (ICS) & Business Development to drive development opportunities for ABC News projects, producing relevant and compelling reporting on the experiences and interests of culturally diverse audiences and harnessing the talent, resources and storytelling ability of the entire news division. This role will develop, and create pitch packages (including decks and sizzles) for all programs, and will also be expected to pitch. The Executive Director will also support efforts to track and build audience engagement and sponsorship across all ABC News shows and platforms, working in collaboration with Audience Insights, Marketing, Communications and Disney Ad Sales. The Executive Director will report to the Senior Vice President, Integrated Content Strategy
ABC News is looking for someone with an entrepreneurial spirit, who thrives on non-fiction storytelling and embraces unconventional thinking. We are seeking an experienced news and multiplatform executive for this position, who will represent ABC News in the support of all aspects of culturally diverse non-fiction development and distribution. The Executive Director will collaborate internally with editorial partners across the news division and with content studios across all segments of The Walt Disney Company and outside partners. The Executive Director will play a critical role in the overall strategic approach for original programming for ABC News. The ideal candidate will have experience in a comparable position shepherding development, fundraising and audience engagement for multiplatform programming for Network, Cable, social and SVOD platforms. As a leader on the ABC News Integrated Content Strategy team, the Executive Director will help the unit build its brand and achieve its goal of expanding culturally diverse audiences across current and emerging portfolios.
• Execute on the development strategy as defined by the SVP, Integrated Content Strategy to develop and distribute unique and compelling culturally diverse non-fiction/news content
• Create and execute a pitch process for Integrated Content Strategy projects
• Conduct outreach, pitch, and execute a strategy to build a robust slate of production for the ABC Network, Disney owned platforms and non-Disney owned platforms.
• Track, solicit, evaluate, procure, and develop culturally diverse non-fiction/news programming from pitch to pilot
• Partner with Executive Editorial Producer and broader Integrated Content Strategy team to develop content strategy and original concepts
• Play instrumental role in creation and execution of library of content for Domestic and International distribution.
• Generate new show ideas/concepts and field pitches from inside and outside producers, talent agencies, studios and independent production companies
• Develop sizzles and decks in collaboration with editorial, marketing and design teams
• Actively support pitch presentations to external and internal partners selling the ICS projects and ABC News brand
• Manage development budget
• Secure new and unique partnerships in collaboration with production team
• Lead, mentor and develop junior team members
• Provide general business/development counsel in a rapidly changing consumer environment
• Identify IP (including books and formats) for the division to option and develop
• Collaborate with Audience Insights, Marketing and other internal departments to generate audience performance data and custom research in support of audience development goals across all show and platforms and new initiatives.
• Work closely with the SVP, Integrated Content Strategy to implement creative and audience development strategy in all capacities
• Work closely with BA and production teams on deal strategy and production matters
• A leadership approach that fosters collaboration, innovation and inclusion
• Minimum 7 or more years of overall work experience in business strategy, media and entertainment; television experience required, news experience strongly preferred
• A minimum of 4 years of experience developing non- fiction series/platforms
• Strong existing relationships with the creative community and production companies, agents, writers, directors, producers, etc.
• Demonstrated creative and development skills
• Self-motivated to develop new ideas and build new talent relationships
• Ability to communicate effectively to all levels of management
• Ability to multitask and manage complex projects
• Demonstrated knowledge of the creative process from concept through production
• Demonstrated leadership and collaboration skills
• Strategic command of managing a portfolio of content with a demonstrated track record of developing buzzworthy content to generate maximum viewership
• Insight into ABC News Race & Culture reporting, brands and franchises and the qualities that define them
• Established professional network and reputation as a smart doer within the multiplatform content and TV industry even when things are not certain or the way forward is not clear
• Strong leadership, organizational skills and emotionally intelligent communicator with a vision
• Proven ability to work across a matrixed organization while also able to self-motivate
• Track record developing commercially successful and/or critically-acclaimed television
• Demonstrable writing skills and excellent knowledge of pitch and story structure
• Superior ability to lead meetings, present and communicate effectively
• A self-starter with an entrepreneurial approach; assertive, enthusiastic and highly motivated
• A team player who works well with others
Bachelor's degree or equivalent work experience.
About Walt Disney Television:
Walt Disney Television (WDT) redefines the future of media and entertainment. Delivering compelling creative, great storytelling, ground-breaking technology, high-impact marketing and innovative distribution, WDT offers multiple opportunities to build a career that supports entertaining and informing the world. A key unit of The Walt Disney Company, one of the world's most admired vertically integrated media enterprises, WDT includes global live action and animation entertainment, news, owned television stations, and radio. If you've got a passion to join our team of talented professionals we want to hear your story.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney's stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with American Broadcasting Companies, Inc., which is part of a business segment we call Walt Disney Television.
American Broadcasting Companies, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.