Senior Media Software Engineer
A+E NetworksNew York, NY
Full Time Job
THE ROLE: Senior Media Software Engineer
The Senior Media Software Engineer is responsible for the design and implementation of software and scripts related to media systems for all A E Networks (A&E, Lifetime, History, etc.).
This position will require travel between NYC and Stamford,CT.
This position will help lead the software development efforts for a team focusing on media technology and infrastructure -- the systems that are responsible for managing video, audio and other related media essence files as they move throughout the company's internal and cloud-based content supply chains. This is a new position and will have an opportunity to work with the group VP to establish development guidelines, best practices and architecture strategies for this newly launched team.
MORE ABOUT WHAT YOU'LL DO:
• Serve as department software-development expert and lead architect, working with the group VP to choose appropriate technologies for each project and formalize a long-term tech stack.
• Serve as a technical lead for leveraging cloud-based technologies, including integration with services from providers such as AWS, Azure and/or Google Cloud Platform, among others.
• Manage projects related to media file and metadata management, including automation and scripting of file-based media orchestration tools both on-premise and externally hosted.
• Lead software based integration efforts, formalizing a design pattern for integrating with other media systems while collaborating with other technical teams.
• Identify automation opportunities within the media space and develop maintainable software-based solutions.
• Manage and coordinate software development projects, delegating responsibilities to other developers as appropriate (including managing of 3rd party relationships when necessary) and maintaining deliverable timelines.
• Assist in building maintainable development platforms, including configuration of development, QA and production environments related to media processing.
• Create documentation for deployment and support, training operational staff on software functional requirements and basic troubleshooting – working with the department VP on developing standards and best practices.
• Serve as an escalation point to internal teams helping to identify and resolve complex, software-based issues involving multiple systems.
• Mentor and enhance the skillset of other team members, and enable team members to contribute to software projects who may only be part-time developers.
WHAT YOU'LL LEARN:
On our team, you will have the opportunity to create great content. You will have exposure to all the inner workings of what it takes to get our content out the door and on the eyes of the world. Collaborate with Programming, Scheduling, and Legal to name just a few of the stakeholders in our organization. You will challenge your creative spirit as we embrace the technological advances to producing and delivering award winning content and sharing globally.
YOUR STORY: [ BEHAVIORS] (what you need to have)
• Minimum Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science or related field, or equivalent experience. Master's degree in Computer Science preferred.
• Minimum three to five years of software development and configuration experience with a solid understand of software architecture.
• Minimum one to three years experience working with relational databases. Experience with Microsoft SQL Server a plus.
• Familiarity with Linux and UNIX-based operating systems, with the ability to perform extensive administrative tasks including environment configuration and troubleshooting using key system tools. Macintosh OS X experience a plus.
• Familiar with cloud-computing and the tools available from modern infrastructure providers, with a strong preference for knowledge of AWS.
• Experience working with users to gather and create development requirements.
• Experience working in an Agile/SCRUM environment.
• Familiarity with Windows operating systems (both desktop and server), with the ability to perform administrative tasks including configuration and troubleshooting.
• Familiarity with any of the media processing services offered by various cloud-computing providers, including tools from Amazon Web Services (AWS), Google Cloud Platform(GCP) and/or Microsoft Azure.
• Experience with enterprise-level Media Asset Management or Digital Asset Management systems, including IPV Curator.
• Experience with digital content distribution tools, including the Platform MPX.
• Experience with media-related WAN acceleration and file transfer orchestration tools, including Aspera and Signiant.
• Experience creating and documenting test cases.
• Some experience with video production and post-production technologies.
• Some knowledge of key components involved in storage systems including SAN, NAS and archive systems (LTO).
• Knowledge of networking and protocols along with basics of router and firewall configurations.
THAT SOMETHING EXTRA:\nIf you've read this far, you're likely a great fit for us…and maybe you're fluent in sign language, have studied the circus arts or are currently writing a screenplay. If you have a special skill or backstory that might directly or indirectly help you succeed in this role, we'd love to hear about it in your cover letter.
''THE DIVISON'S STORY
Named in honor of our leader's favorite car, GTO comprises a wide range of operations, production and technology roles. We are responsible for the whole value chain of content. This is where we produce, broadcast and distribute content, manage media assets and run the tech infrastructure for the whole company. We live on the forefront of technology, nurturing new solutions in tech incubators before improving the user experience of our customers, consumers and colleagues. Interested in Big Data? AR? VR? Or another emerging technology. If your idea helps grow our business, we are eager to work with you to test and learn. Join us as we set the standard for our industry.