Senior Accountant, Sales and Marketing
A+E NetworksNew York, NY
Full Time Job
THE ROLE: Senior Accountant, Sales and Marketing
Perform general accounting, financial reporting, analysis, budgeting & forecasting functions and special projects for the Sales & Marketing business areas for A E network brands A&E, History, Lifetime, FYI, Crime & Investigation, History, History en Español, Military History Channel, Lifetime Movie Network, Lifetime Real Women and Viceland. This position acts as the primary accounting liaison with the Sales & Marketing budget managers and divisional financial directors of the A E network brands.
MORE ABOUT WHAT YOU'LL DO:
• Support high volume of Sales & Marketing sub-departments within Ad Sales, Affiliate Sales, Consumer Marketing and Research business areas providing proper financial training, ad hoc reporting and client support when necessary; Interact and correspond with a high volume of operational clients within these business areas which includes budget/line managers, department coordinators, finance department liaisons and mid-level to senior executives.
• Provide accounting training to clients and liaisons when needed as it relates to A E business areas, ensuring transactions conducted by the Sales & Marketing sub-departments or between other internal A E departments are in adherence to GAAP and in accordance to A E's policies and procedures.
• Book all monthly accrual and adjusting journal entries during close process and when required. Collect and review accrual submissions from the budget managers and work with them to reconcile accrual tracking spreadsheets that are utilized to book monthly accruals. Ensure account coding and accrual spreadsheet issues have been resolved.
• Prepare monthly financial reporting which includes P&L schedules needed for monthly controller and CFO review meetings, top level operating expense and G&A expense reports required for monthly SVP financial review meetings and other reports when required periodically.
• Provide analysis of variances between actual versus budgeted results during monthly financial closes to the budget managers and request explanation of material variances, collect and review explanations ensuring clarity and accuracy, document all material variances or issues on P&L schedules and reports. Analyze and document variance explanations between actual versus budgeted results and actual versus prior year results for monthly Finance Committee meeting presentation.
• Perform monthly and quarterly detailed balance sheet and G&A account analysis.
• Conduct periodic budget review meetings with operational directors and finance liaisons. Produce and distribute monthly reports to discuss results for the period and address pertinent issues regarding budget risk & opportunities in a timely fashion. Address process and procedural concerns to ensure efficiencies are being exploited.
• Facilitate quarterly forecasts and annual budget processes with the sub-departments. Prepare various forecast and annual budget P&L schedules and other reports which highlight the quarterly or annual budget changes. Collect and document the explanation of the forecast and budget variances on these reports for review by senior management.
• Provide support to Director, Accounting, Sr. Director, Financial Reporting and the overall team on ad-hoc projects when needed.
WHAT YOU'LL LEARN:
On our team, you'll have the opportunity to innovate and learn. You will learn. You will not be alone. You'll have an opportunity to build transformational financial solutions & supporting core areas of business. Also, you'll be able to seek out new strategies and implement them where they make sense. In addition, you'll be able to build & manage strong relationships of cross functional partners that understand our business and are eager to push the envelope wherever possible. Finally, you'll be exposed to various A E departments and stakeholders to learn the goals, needs and direction so you can become a trusted partner.
YOUR STORY: [ BEHAVIORS] (what you need to have)
• BA/BS in Accounting and minimum 3-5 years accounting experience desired.
• CPA is desired but not required.
• Experience working in TV broadcast, entertainment or media industries is highly desired.
• Intermediate to advanced Microsoft Excel skills including proficiency in the creation and use of pivot tables is required. A good working knowledge of Word and Power Point.
• A working knowledge of SAP environments ECC and BPC.
• Candidate should have a strong general accounting procedure knowledge, ability to analyze financial results and can establish accounting and analytical procedures.
• Candidate should be highly organized, extremely detail oriented and able to multi-task.
• Candidate should have excellent communication skills, both written and oral which includes a strong ability to articulate and present financial data & procedures to non-financial individuals.
• Candidate should have the ability to identify and/or address pertinent issues independently and be able to provide relevant feedback, efficiencies or resolutions.
THAT SOMETHING EXTRA:\nIf you've read this far, you're likely a great fit for us…and maybe you're fluent in sign language, have studied the circus arts or are currently writing a screenplay. If you have a special skill or backstory that might directly or indirectly help you succeed in this role, we'd love to hear about it in your cover letter.
THE DIVISON'S STORY
Most people don't realize the importance of the Finance department in keeping our business operating without hitches and delays. That's probably because we oversee many of the more quietly glamorous, back-office functions that drive our bottom line. We not only forecast, build and manage budgets, we also collect and analyze important data that helps leadership make the best decisions. All of this sounds exciting to you because you love numbers and spreadsheets, and especially love great entertainment.