A+E NetworksNew York, NY
Full Time Job
THE ROLE: RESEARCH ANALYST
The analyst will be an important member of A E Networks' Program Research team, responsible for reporting audience metrics across our portfolio of brands as well as competitive networks. Data analysis, storytelling and an ability to turn large data sets into actionable insights is paramount. Aid with digital analytics reporting. Help automate and improve analytical systems and streamline processes through knowledge of Excel and/or other related software.
MORE ABOUT WHAT YOU'LL DO:
• Act as internal research expert, leveraging proprietary and third-party datasets (i.e. Nielsen, ComScore etc.) to analyze data sets, glean insights, articulate meaning, and recommend actions.
• Collect, analyze, and interpret Nielsen data among other sources for recurring reports and ad hoc requests
• Develop a deep understanding of the television landscape and media research
• Manage daily and regular reporting needs for A E Networks, as well as competitive networks
• Highlight performance of key premieres, series launches and schedule changes
• Employ tracking and trending analyses from a multiple range of resources
• Responsible for data collection, interpreting data, formulating reports and making recommendations based on findings
• Assist with standard day-to-day operations of the Research Department
• Able to manage tasks simultaneously, prepare various written client deliverables, prioritize, and meet deadlines
• Help design and field primary research studies (surveys, focus groups)
• Synthesize audience data and communicate trending and core insights
• Proactively help evolve regular reports to ensure they are delivering the most current and relevant industry insights
• Work with Associate Director to identify opportunities that maximize ratings outcomes
WHAT YOU'LL LEARN:
As the media industry grapples with fragmentation and disruption, a key facet of Research is to be the driving force in helping their company capture, report on, monetize, and understand audiences. An opportunity lies in Research to work across divisions and departments to create a unified language that ensures that internal clients understand-and take advantage of-complex metrics. The key is giving the necessary context so that decisions can be made. While this sounds disarmingly simple, it is a challenge to get the majority of the company to speak the same language and understand new vernacular. Research is a central force within the broader organization in gaining an objective perspective for a wide array of complex questions. It may sound academic – and certainly there is a portion of the job that requires a love of learning – but the primary attribute that will bring you success is curiosity. For example, you'll gain a deeper understanding of what motivates someone to tune into a show, buy a product based on placement of an ad, become a fan on social media, or why certain types of programs are successful across regions of this country and abroad. Ultimately, each research candidate gets a better understanding of the rigor that goes into making business decisions by uncovering not boulders, but pebbles along the path to connecting to A E Networks core asset, its content.
YOUR STORY: [ BEHAVIORS] (what you need to have)
• 1 years in television research at a cable network, rep firm, syndicator, broadcast network or ad agency or research firm
• 4 years of college
• Familiarity with Nielsen data and specific industry software: Star Media, N-Power, Arianna
• Solid analytical and communication skills with a meticulous attention to detail and accuracy
• Ability to work under pressure, handle multiple assignments, and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment
• Capable of learning how to use new data sets and tools quickly
• Knowledge of and interest in television
• Advanced skill in Microsoft Office Suite, particularly Excel
• Preferred familiarity with digital analytics tools: Adobe Analytics, Freewheel and/or ComScore
• Basic skills for data analysis programming languages preferred: SQL, R, or Python
• Additional experience in Tableau or data visualization software is ideal
THAT SOMETHING EXTRA:\nIf you've read this far, you're likely a great fit for us…and maybe you're fluent in sign language, have studied the circus arts or are currently writing a screenplay. If you have a special skill or backstory that might directly or indirectly help you succeed in this role, we'd love to hear about it in your cover letter.
'THE DIVISON'S STORY
Do numbers tell you stories? Can you relay complex information in bite-sized nuggets to non-researchers? Do you enjoy influencing business decisions by providing fact-based recommendations infused with intuition? Our Research and Insights Team is comprised of wizards who practice the craft of ''art and science.'' We spend much of our time looking back at performance - and even more time looking forward making actionable recommendations for growing our business. We specialize in content, audience and revenue insights across all platforms. Come check out our pioneering work in predictive modeling, performance marketing and algorithms. Pocket protectors not required.