Washington NationalsWashington, DC
Full Time Job
The Director of Communications reports directly to the VP of Communications, working hand in hand to manage public relations on behalf of the Washington Nationals Baseball Club. He/she serves as the team's day-to-day liaison to all baseball / sports related media members. The Director of Communications manages the Senior Manager, Communications and, together with the VP, all three serve as the Club's publicists for all on-the-field matters. The Communications team works with other departments within the organization to effectively maintain the Club's message as it relates to on-the-field activities.
The Nationals are a military-friendly organization actively recruiting veterans and spouses.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Manage all aspects of media relations surrounding on-the-field activities.
• Work hand in hand with the Senior Manager, Communications to serve as the team's day-to-day liaison to all baseball / sports related media members.
• Proactively pitch story ideas to the media, manage incoming media requests, coordinate media requests for and prepare Club's players, coaches and executives for media interviews.
• Work with Senior Manager to field player interview requests and direct media on-site at home and away games. This includes being in Florida for the full duration of Spring Training and traveling with the team throughout the regular season.
• Write game notes, press releases, media advisories, baseball related blog posts and coordinate creation and production of the annual media guide.
• Create messaging and talking points for ownership and/or team executives on baseball related business.
• Supervise the work of the Senior Manager of Communications
• Other duties as assigned.
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements
• Bachelor's degree required.
• Minimum of five years experience in media relations, preferably at a sports team.
• Experience pitching to the media and a strong background in writing is required for this position.
• Previous supervisory experience required.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities necessary to perform essential functions
• The ability to work independently and to manage priorities is also a must.
• Ability to build credibility and trust by demonstrating high ethical standards. Extreme discretion, as work often involves confidential and sensitive information.
• Proven track record in developing relationships with the media, particularly sports business media.
• Outstanding written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills including on-camera presentation skills.
• Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Word and graphic design software program.
• Uphold Core Values: Excellence, Performance, and Accountability. These core values set the tone in everything we do, help us succeed on and off the field, make a difference in the community and provide the best guest experience in sports. It is important that the person in the position commits themselves to these core values so that we can constantly move forward in the same direction – Together.
• Office: Working conditions are normal for an office environment. Work will require weekend and/or evening work.
• Travel: It will be necessary for this person to travel extensively with the team.
• Gameday: Job requires employee to function in a high activity and heavily crowded outdoor professional sports venue. May work at heights. Employee will be exposed to inclement weather of varying degrees. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand for long periods of time, walk long distances, and climb up/down stairs. The employee is required to stoop, kneel, crouch, or sit and must lift and/or move up to 45 pounds.
• How did you hear about this job?
• Do you have previous supervisory experience? Please explain.