Summer Intern - Technical Post Processing
Walt Disney Animation StudiosBurbank, CA
Full Time Unpaid Internship
Walt Disney Animation Studios Technical Directors and the Technology Department develop software for our animated films. Post-Processing takes over when the final images from lighting and stereo have been completed. It manages the color-timing process of the images, and how those color-timed images become the final release formats for our films. For any given film, we will distribute upwards of 100 different versions that will be released worldwide.
This intern will interact directly with Technical Directors (TDs) as well as the Studio Tools Technology Team. Technical Directors work directly with artists to assist them in learning how better to use their tools, helping them solve problems when they arise, adding new features to those tools, writing scripts to simplify artists' tasks, and sometimes building those tools from the ground up. The Studio Tools Technology Team creates and maintains our in-house software packages for Story, Editorial, Post-Processing, and Playback / Review. Many of these packages are used throughout the Walt Disney Corporation, as well as Disney Animation.
We are looking to upgrade the current toolset for Post-Processing to better support the day-to-day tasks of the department. The goal of this internship is to learn and analyze the existing tools and needs of the department and to design and implement a new more user-friendly web interface, which can efficiently handle those needs.
• Become familiar with existing Disney post-production workflows
• Determine requirements and desires for new workflow
• Design a web interface to handle these needs
• Implement a prototype of the web interface
• Incorporate critical Post-Production tools into the prototype
• Demonstrate, take direction, and iterate on the prototype to achieve the most user-friendly result
• Document progress and results throughout the internship with a final presentation at the end
• Actively engage with TDs and Technology to ensure a smooth transition for future support
• Strong communication and interpersonal skills
• Strong Web Design and Development skills
• Experience with Python
• Majoring in User Interface/Interaction Design, Digital Media, Computer Science, or related field
• Jquery experience
• Graphic design experience
• Familiarity with Animation / VFX workflows
• Supplemental portfolio of Graphic Design work would be a plus
The Walt Disney Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer.