Summer Intern - Technical Platform Engineering
Walt Disney Animation StudiosBurbank, CA
Full Time Unpaid Internship
Walt Disney Animation Studios has been combining the best in artistry and storytelling with cutting-edge technology to bring wonderful new characters and adventures to the big screen for audiences around the world. We currently have an exciting internship opportunity in the Platform Engineering group located in Burbank, CA.
The Platform Engineering group is seeking a qualified candidate to drive the research into potential software deployment and dependency management solutions that could be used at our studio for deployment of production software.
At Walt Disney Animation Studios, we deploy a variety of software applications and technologies to multiple different platforms. We have proprietary processes and software in place to manage the dependencies and deployment processes.
We'd like to look into alternate methods to deploy software and are interested in researching potential solutions. This internship will focus on Flatpak, as a viable solution for deploying applications and their dependencies, fully isolated from the underlying operating system.
• Investigate Flatpak and determine its relevance to the studio software deployment environment.
• Use Flatpak to deploy one or more applications to our production environment.
• Test the deployment of different applications in different environments to understand limits and constraints around isolation.
• Research comparable solutions for isolating applications.
• Understand and document the benefits and pitfalls of Flatpak versus alternatives.
• Strong communication and interpersonal skills
• Experience with Linux or other Unix
• Understanding of software build environments, build systems and compilers such as Make, CMake, gcc and llvm
• Understanding of software build and deployment best practices such as Continuous Integration, Version Control, and Configuration Management
• Major in Systems Engineering, Computer Science, or Computer Engineering
• Ability to effectively manage time over the course of a project
• Ability to prioritize possible areas of research, conduct evaluations, and present findings
• Experience with Flatpak
• Experience investigating and comparing technical solutions
• Understanding of the concepts behind isolated applications
• Knowledge of software run-time dependency discovery and isolation paradigms such as Dynamic Linking, Static Linking, RPATH, Docker, and Software Collections a plus
The Walt Disney Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer.