Summer Intern - Technical Meander
Walt Disney Animation StudiosBurbank, CA
Full Time Unpaid Internship
The Walt Disney Animation Studios Technology Department develops software for our animated films. Software Engineers work closely with production users to create tools for modeling, rigging, animation, dynamics, shading, effects, look, and rendering while leveraging experience in graphics technology, mathematics, and research.
Meander is the most popular drawing engine for applications across the Disney Studios. It is currently being used by Walt Disney Animation Studios, Pixar, and Disneytoon Studios. We are expanding the use of Meander while still heavily relying on it for day-to-day production work.
Walt Disney Animation Studios is looking to explore different rendering methodologies with the Meander Product. We would like to explore tile-based rendering and the support for Apple's Metal renderer.
• Take direction and work independently with support and mentoring
• Familiarize themselves with the Meander code base
• Switch Meander to use tile-based rendering methodology using the built-in renderer
• Create tests to showing before and after results of the methodology switch with pictures and timing comparisons
• Switch out Meander's built-in render with Apple's Metal renderer
• Create tests to showing before and after results of the switch to Apple's renderer with pictures and timing comparisons
• Create demo application for on the iPad to show off differences in of using Apple's Metal vs. Meanders built-in renderer
• Create poster presentation for the Studio explaining the project and results
• Strong communication and interpersonal skills
• Strong C programming skills
• Familiar working with Linux based Operating Systems
• Majoring in Computer Science or Mathematics
• Experience with creating graphics softwar
• Experience with rendering technology
• Experience with Apple's Metal renderer
The Walt Disney Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer.