Walt Disney Animation StudiosBurbank, CA
Full Time Job
Software Engineer, Production Technology We are adding one more talented developer to our Technology team. In this role, you will partner with artists, production leadership, technical directors, other software engineers, and technology leadership on the design and implementation of new workflows and capabilities motivated by the needs of film production at Walt Disney Animation Studios.
The ideal candidate will enjoy the diversity and challenges of working at various levels in the software stack, from core compute, data management to developing APIs and intuitive user interfaces. All projects have in common the pursuit of simple and performant solutions to complex problems, using agile development methodologies as part of high-energy, proficient teams.
The developer filling this role should welcome being assigned to a variety of projects, depending on studio needs. Example assignments could include high performance parallel computation, highly efficient data parsing and storage, computer graphics algorithms with associated artist workflows, and an in-depth understanding of the requirements and relationships for data authored and consumed by many disparate production departments.
Software engineers are highly supportive of each other, expected to demonstrate self-direction when needed, and learn through experiencing both success and failure. You must therefore be comfortable supporting your team by bringing fresh insight for shared problem solving. Also critical to success in this role is the ability to build trust and relationships with technical and non-technical users to understand their needs and pain points intimately, and deliver relevant solutions.
• Ideally two or more years of development experience (can include internships), using C and Python, building user facing software, ideally in a studio environment
• Demonstrated ability in software design and engineering skills; awareness of design patterns and their relevance to software design
• Experienced developing high-performance multithreaded code strongly desired
• Solid communication, team working and problem solving skills and a desire to continue to grow in these areas. Effective listener: able to engage with artists to understand their requirements and infer practical solutions
• Familiarity with computer graphics foundational concepts, algorithms, and related artistic workflows
• BS in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering or other related field; or comparable industry experience
The Walt Disney Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer