Software Engineer: Rendering
Walt Disney Animation StudiosBurbank, CA
Full Time Job
Walt Disney Animation Studios has an exciting opportunity for a talented developer to work on Hyperion, our physically based path-tracing renderer. In this role, the ideal candidate will partner with artists, production leadership, technical directors, other software engineers, and technology leadership on the design and implementation of new workflows and capabilities motivated by the needs of film production at Walt Disney Animation Studios.
Developers work in a collaborative environment in the pursuit of simple and performant solutions to complex problems, using agile development methodologies as part of high-energy, proficient teams.
The developer filling this role would use a variety of techniques including new rendering algorithms, high performance parallel computation, highly efficient data parsing and storage, and computer graphics algorithms with associated artist workflows. In-depth understanding of the requirements and relationships for data authored and consumed by production will allow the developer to provide full rendering solutions to all studio departments.
• Ability to design and develop complex user facing rendering software, in a studio environment. Able to demonstrate strong software design and engineering skills
• Passion for physically based rendering and global illumination
• Fluency in C and experience with performance tuning and debugging of parallel vectorized code
• Ability to develop and optimize algorithms for efficiency and scalability
• Deep understanding of computer graphics foundational concepts, algorithms, and related artistic workflows
• Understanding of parallel programming models and vectorization
• Exemplary communication, team working and problem-solving skills, balancing the timeliness of solutions with their sustainability. Able to prioritize competing demands based on business value
• Effective listener: able to engage with artists to understand their requirements and infer practical solutions
• BS in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or other related field required
• MS/PhD with specialization in Computer Graphics or comparable industry experience in a research, studio, or games environment preferred
The Walt Disney Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer