Senior Counsel, Distribution and Business Development
ViacomNew York, NY
Full Time Job
This position is a rare opportunity to become a member of the Viacom Law Department, one of the “Best Legal Departments” as recognized by Corporate Counsel Magazine in 2016. In this position, you will join a team of attorneys working on a broad variety of matters arising from the distribution of the Viacom Media Networks (VMN) and BET Networks (BETN) programming services and content.
We are open to candidates at the Counsel and Senior Counsel levels.
• Draft, review and negotiate a variety of agreements arising from the distribution of the VMN/BETN programming services and related content on a broad array of media platforms (e.g., cable and satellite television, telco, wireless, internet, IPTV), with a focus on distribution agreements
• Provide advice and counsel on a variety of legal and business affairs matters
• Monitor contractual and regulatory compliance
• Assist with various departmental and administrative functions and assignments requiring interaction with other groups within Content Distribution (e.g., Finance; Strategy), with attorneys supporting other client groups and with executives from Viacom’s various other businesses
• Support senior attorneys as needed
• 3 years of experience (Counsel) and 5 years of experience (Senior Counsel) of relevant in-house or law firm experience are required
• New York State Bar membership is required
• Extensive, in-depth knowledge of contract and general corporate law is required
• Must have ability to evaluate complex agreements and effectively distill information for clients
• Knowledge of communications, technology and/or internet law and FCC regulation is a plus
• Ability to manage multiple assignments simultaneously in a demanding, fast-paced environment; to communicate effectively with others verbally and in writing; and ability to negotiate agreements with third parties independently
• Must possess excellent drafting and organizational skills.
• Ability to work closely with and maintain effective relationships with VMN personnel within and outside primary client group
• Relevant experience in the cable television and digital media industries is a plus