Senior Counsel, Business and Legal Affairs- Nickelodeon
ViacomNew York, NY
Full Time Job
The Senior Counsel, Business and Legal Affairs for Nickelodeon will provide day-to-day business and legal affairs services for animation and live action programming as well as licensed programming, with a focus on original animation development and production and acquisitions. This person will be expected to handle a heavy volume of development and production matters relating to both “in-house” and third party productions. The position reports to Senior Vice President, Nickelodeon.
• Structure, draft and negotiate, with minimal supervision, a high volume of development and production agreements for animated and live action projects, including development agreements, production services agreements, executive producer agreements, writer agreements, director agreements, co-production agreements, license agreements and rights acquisition agreements.
• Structure, draft and negotiate, with minimal supervision, a high volume of license agreements for acquired programming.
• Provide production legal for varied productions, working with a broad range of departments (Production Management, Labor & Employment/Production Risk Team, Risk Management, Litigation, Music & Media Licensing and Pre-Broadcast Content Review) to implement production legal policies and procedures.
• Advise various departments for the network (Programming, Production, Marketing and Promotion, Rights Management, etc.) in connection with complex business and legal matters.
• Review and analyze chain of title and other rights issues.
• Review scripts and programming for clearances and potential legal risks.
• Develop and create deal structures, parameters and templates and forms.
• Maintain relationships with key managers, agencies and attorneys in the entertainment community.
• Qualified candidate must be a member of the New York Bar with a minimum of 5 years of relevant experience (ideally in a network, studio, entertainment law firm or production company environment).
• Comprehensive knowledge of contract law and intellectual property rights (as applicable to the entertainment industry), as well as a mastered capability for legal research, analysis and reasoning, is required.
• Working knowledge of television industry agreements, guild and union regulations (Animation Guild, Local 839 I.A.T.S.E, WGA, DGA, SAG-AFTRA) is beneficial.
• Excellent drafting, negotiation, communication (written and verbal), interpersonal, organizational and computer skills are also a must.
• Desired candidate will have a thorough understanding of entertainment industry customs and practices and possess demonstrated ability to effectively negotiate and interact with agents, managers and outside attorneys.
• Must be able to multi-task under pressure, manage a varied, high-volume workload efficiently and smoothly and operate autonomously within corporate parameters.
• Must be able to build strong internal client relationships, effectively advise senior-level executives under conditions of uncertainty, high-pressure and/or high-risk and generate strong client satisfaction through quick turnaround and firm decision-making.
• The ideal candidate will be collaborative, positive and team-oriented.