Legal Assistant, MTV, VH1 & Logo
ViacomNew York, NY
Full Time Job
Responsible for all aspects of supporting one (1) Vice President and one (1) Senior Counsel in Business and Legal Affairs, and possibly a third person.
This is a Legal Assistant position in the Viacom Media Networks’ Business and Legal Affairs New York office providing day-to-day business and legal affairs services for one (1) Vice President and one (1) Senior Counsel (and possibly a third person) in Business & Legal Affairs covering MTV, VH1 and Logo with a focus on development and production for scripted and unscripted (reality) programming, music programming and tent-pole events. This person will support the Supervisors’ heavy volume of production and talent-related matters for both in-house and third party productions. The department works closely with the networks’ Production Management, Programming, Talent, Publicity, Music & Media Licensing, Labor & Employment, Risk Management, Production Content Review, Production Risk Team, Intellectual Property & Litigation, Marketing and Ad Sales departments.
• Responsible for drafting standard letters, amendments and contracts at the request of and on behalf of the Supervisors
• Input, revise, proofread and redline documents (including contracts).
• Maintain status reports for show specific productions and project updates for Supervisors on overall department charts.
• Coordinate distribution of documents, maintain files (database and shipping files to Iron Mountain) and mailing/faxing correspondence and other administrative tasks at the request of Supervisors.
• Uphold a highly organized, efficient and logical filing system of all documents for working purposes and for archival use.
• Schedule and book conference rooms for meetings (coordinate with IT for video conferences), keep and maintain departmental lists, and contacts.
• Organize documents for legal kick-off meetings and manage distribution of production agreements to third party production companies.
• Screen incoming calls with a very positive attitude, high degree of professionalism and promptly relay phone calls to Supervisors.
• Place calls for Supervisors, arrange and place multi-party conference calls.
• Prepare travel and expenditure reports for Supervisors, effectively prioritize the Supervisors’ daily schedules by coordinating appointments, schedule meetings among parties with demanding calendars, and maintain office supplies by placing orders as needed.
• Ability to handle confidential matters with discretion.
• Undergraduate degree.
• 1-2 years’ experience as an assistant, preferably in the music, television or entertainment industry (Strong internship experience accepted).
• Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Outlook and Microsoft Office including Microsoft Word for Windows, Excel and Power Point.
• Ability to work overtime as needed.
• Legal experience desirable, but not mandatory.
• Knowledge of television and digital production extremely helpful.
• DM5 knowledge a strong plus
• Advanced knowledge of legal word processing procedures and excellent typing skills.
• Extremely punctual. Excellent organizational skills with ability to prioritize work.
• High degree of attention to detail is a must. Ability to concentrate and be focused.
• Professional demeanor and phone skills. Ability to communicate effectively with all levels of personnel throughout the Company and externally.
• Ability to read, analyze, and interpret legal documents.
• Ability to respond effectively to sensitive inquiries or complaints.
• Must be able to work independently, multi-task under pressure, and manage a high-volume workload efficiently.