Full Time Job
Job Title: Counsel, Business and Legal Affairs
Department: Business and Legal Affairs
Reports To: VP, Business and Legal Affairs
FLSA Status: Full Time (Non-Exempt/Exempt)
Prepared Date: June 7, 2017 [HR Insert posting date]
Job Location: Los Angeles, CA
Counsel, Business and Legal Affairs
This is a Counsel-level position in the Viacom Media Networks’ Business and Legal Affairs Los Angeles office providing day-to-day business and legal affairs services for MTV and VH1 with a focus on development and production for unscripted, long form series programming. This person will handle the negotiation and drafting of a heavy volume of fast-paced production matters for in-house and third-party productions. These tasks require a working knowledge of contract law, intellectual property law, including Copyright and Trademark, Rights of Publicity, and employment law issues as well as Viacom Media Networks’ company policy in connection therewith. The department works closely with the networks’ Production Management, Programming, Talent, Publicity, Music & Media Licensing, Labor & Employment, Risk Management, Pre-Broadcast Content Review, Intellectual Property & Litigation, Marketing and Ad Sales departments. This position supervises a department assistant. This position does not manage a budget.
Primary duties will include:
• Negotiating and drafting development and production agreements (e.g., production services agreements, on-camera participant agreements, format licenses, talent, venue and location releases.)
• Managing a range of business affairs and production-related legal matters.
• Managing legal kick-off calls and coordinating distribution of production agreements to third party production companies.
• Reviewing and approving legal contracts for execution by management.
• Drafting contract summaries and assisting with other special projects as requested by senior business and legal affairs executives.
• Providing on-site coverage for original programming when necessary.
• Performing other day-to-day business and legal affairs-related tasks as needed and as assigned by senior business and legal affairs executives.
• Juris Doctorate Degree.
• A minimum of 3-5 years of relevant experience at a network, studio, entertainment law firm or production company.
• Working knowledge of television industry agreements, contract law and intellectual property rights, demonstrated ability to conduct legal research, analysis and reasoning.
• Excellent drafting, negotiation, communication (written and verbal), interpersonal, organizational and computer skills.
Desired candidate will possess a demonstrated ability to effectively negotiate and interact with agents, managers and outside attorneys. Must be able to work independently, multi-task under pressure, and manage a high-volume workload efficiently. The Business and Legal Affairs department is a collaborative team and the ideal candidate will have a cooperative and positive spirit.